I don't know what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vivij

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new at this but I've had four lovely fish who have been getting on since last March and we decided to add to the brood two days ago.
But its so sad since introducing the new fish a honey Gourami its kiled two of my fish one a female Guppie and the other a neon tetra. the lady who sold it to me said it would mingle fine with the others. whats happened!!! Is it a serial killer should I bag it up to protect the others? I am so upset, i'm not sure what to do. I have two surviving fish a male fighter and an Angel fish. I'm scared for them. please help

It could be you happened to get a more aggressive than usual fish, like people the temperament of fish can really vary. However im not experienced with that species and something else could be the issue

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I found the problem in your other thread, its an 8 gallon tank. The angel fish and the gourami both need to be removed. The tank is way too small for this stocking.

the angle and gourami aren't huge, but are you saying they prefer more area to move around in?

the angle and gourami aren't huge, but are you saying they prefer more area to move around in?

Yes. The angel specifically needs more space to establish territory. Since this space is not available fighting has occurred. Angelfish need a 30g minimum

Caleb

Yup, everything Caleb said. I actually wanted to wait and let another person reply so u knew I wasn't just giving you a hard time or anything.
Angel fish are cichlids which practically comes with attitude and teeth. They are big swimmers and territorial which causes big issues in a small tank. An angel requires a tank nearly 4 times larger than your 8 gallon and while they start small they grow big pretty fast. There are actually a few issues present.
The gourami needs a bit more than 8 gallons too (territory/aggression) a 10 may work but 20 is ideal
Bettas and guppies don't typically make great tank mates, the guppies tend to get picked on. I would love to help make the tank seamlessly functional, if you have any questions just ask..

And as I go, quick question, are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle and how to maintain proper water chemistry levels? Just checking.

^all of that an future health reason for the fish.
We've all heard that fish only grow to size tank their in. This is true in some part as fish realize hormones into the water to help determine how much growing room they have. This is a Survival method as when they start to reach the growing room limit they start to slow down they "outer" body growth. This however does not stop their internal organs from growing how ever an soon you'll have a fish that's supposed to be 2in but with the organs of a 6in fish. This will eventually kill the fish. Goldfish are a great example of this

Back
Top Bottom