I don't see my Blue Lobster/Crayfish eating!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugenakuma

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently got a Blue lobster for my tank and I have had him for at least 2 1/2 weeks. I have seen him eat only a few times yet he still remains alive. I assume he must be eating at night or something right? How else could he have survived this long?

A few days ago I placed a plastic clear tube in my tank, the ones made for Ghostfish to sit in. The lobster loves it and instead of hiding behind/under some rock he sits in this visible tube. Anyway right now he is sitting in it with a small pile of fresh frozen brine shrimp right n front of him. I'm worried that he's not eating them. The other day I dropped an algae disk in his tube and I ddin't see him touch that either. Oh yea, I also have dropped in blood worms and he doesn't seem too interested in those either.

This is my third blue lobster and I remember one of my other lobsters eating all the time, like a real pig. Could it be that my lobster just eats at night?

If anyone has any suggestions or info please let me know.

He might just be getting used to the tank and only coming out at night to eat. He's a scanvenger so I'm sure all the while he's walking around he's also picking up little morsels of food. Don't worry eventually those ghost shrimp will be gone and eaten.

Yea you are probably right. I guess I'm just being a worried new parent. :)
Thanks for the comforting.

I agree they probaly eat at night or just not while your around! it will be fine! and that is sooo cute how he gets in the tube! what is his name?!? :fadein:

I haven't really set a name for him. I usually don't give my underwater creatures names till they have been around for a while. That way I don't become prematurely attached ;)

Any name suggestions would be appreciated though.

I could be wrong here, but don't crayfish stop eating before a molt? perhaps he's getting ready to bust out of the old shell.

Otherwise, agree with above, he's prolly eating at night. Crayfish are commonly more active at night.

Is it a boy or a girl? and do u like human names like bob or sandy? or do u like pet names like bubbles, or cutie? or do u like charactor names like , sabation (little memaid) or jock (pronouced shock ( finding nemo) ? :B-fly:

I just about never see my crayfish eat, but it's been alive and healthy for several months now. She's even carrying eggs right now, so I assume thats a sign of good health. I'll go ahead and second the other posts that said your blue lobster is probably just sucking up little morsles of food as it walks around at night or whenever you're not looking.

I wonder why the lobster likes to hide in a clear tube, though... I thought they liked dark scary places!!

While I no longer have a freshwater tank we used to have chiclids I still miss my frontosa but the wife said salt or fresh I went reef. Anyway we used to have a 55 with a blue crayfish/lobster and when he wouldn't eat for a few days he got a guppie or small goldfish. I never took long for him to grab and devour them it was great we also had a australian lobster with the same eating habits.

As far as names I kinda like funky names, like Mayonaise, Meat & Potatoes, Shaq, Goby, or Cyrano (all names of my past or present fish).

Maybe he is going to molt? His shell does have some interesting colorations, so maybe that's a sign of impending moltation?

Hey belinda, what's an Australian lobster look like? I loved watching my old long gone blue lobster scramble to eat earth worms I would drop into his tank! Lobsters/crayfish are SO cool!

Back
Top Bottom