I finally get to talk to a real limnologist...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DepotFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
and he blows me off completely. I'm taking a class taught by a limnologist (scientist of fresh water) with 13 years worldwide field experience. He's new so I asked if he could hint to the other profs in the science that 2 large cichlids be moved from the 5 gallon tank in the lounge, and he didn't seem to know why they shouldn't be in there. I later asked if I could use fishtank water for one of our studies (because the nitrates will really make a good difference) and he looked at me like I was crazy. He doesn't seem to know what a nitrate is. I'm so frustrated.

You have forgotten one of the first lessons of academia. People tend to pick their brains on a myriad of topics all day, everyday. Since your questions were unsolicited, he brushed you aside.

If you were to make an appointment and advise him of the topic, you will probably get much better feedback.

Also, I'd say don't just talk to him, but try to develop an actual relationship. Talk to him after class and during office hours. Talk about his research. You could learn something and he'll see this is something you're really interested in. Then he'll take your concerns more seriously.

Back
Top Bottom