I finally see Nitrite! ALOT of it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MandyINCo

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, those of you that have read my previous threads know that I have had a stalled cycle (4 months). Well, I'm finally getting Nitrite readings and Ammo has fallen to 0. But Nitrite is HIGH (over 5ppm). I have been doing a 50% water change every day since I saw it turn purple. It keeps getting darker and darker. I don't want to do a 100% change, and my back is killing me from lifting the bucket.

My question this time is, what Nitrite levels are the safest for fish. I know 0 is best, but like with ammonia .25 or less is ok. So, what is the maximum for Nitrite? Nitrate reads about 5ppm. I use prime, I usually add a little more than it calls for.

Anyway, any help is welcomed. Thank you!

I generally recommend to keep nitrites the same .25ppm or less. Prime/other detox type of products only work to 2ppm (or less). I would keep up with the water changes (more than 1 day would be better), continue double dosing the Prime, and add a low dose of aquarium salt (1 tablespn per 10g). Premix it in tank water & add gradually over the course of a day. After a 50% wc, only add back what salt you have removed (1/2 dose). The salt will help limit nitrite poisoning though this is assuming you have salt-tolerant fish. Have you considered getting a python/other brand water changer?

I just finished my cycle last month. It took mine about 3 weeks for the nitrites to disappear so I feel your pain with the wcs. Definitely get a water changer, it makes things so much easier and it is effortless to do. Hang in there!

I want to buy a python but it puzzles me. How do you dechlorinate the water if it just goes straight from the tap to the tank?

I want to buy a python but it puzzles me. How do you dechlorinate the water if it just goes straight from the tap to the tank?

I would give up my big tanks if I had to do buckets for water changes! To answer your question, you add an appropriate dose of water conditioner to your tank (after emptying) and then refill it. Just make sure you are dosing conditioner to the size of your tank. Wait atleast 10mins for the conditioner to disperse through the water then turn everything back on. Thats it! :)

So, those of you that have read my previous threads know that I have had a stalled cycle (4 months). Well, I'm finally getting Nitrite readings and Ammo has fallen to 0. But Nitrite is HIGH (over 5ppm). I have been doing a 50% water change every day since I saw it turn purple. It keeps getting darker and darker. I don't want to do a 100% change, and my back is killing me from lifting the bucket.

My question this time is, what Nitrite levels are the safest for fish. I know 0 is best, but like with ammonia .25 or less is ok. So, what is the maximum for Nitrite? Nitrate reads about 5ppm. I use prime, I usually add a little more than it calls for.

Anyway, any help is welcomed. Thank you!

Hello Mandy...

All you need to do is test the water daily. If you have a positive test for either ammonia or nitrites, then you only need to change 25 to 30 percent of the water. Larger water changes aren't necessary.

Even a trace of ammonia or nitrites can harm your fish, so that's why you must test the tank water every day and remove and replace the water when needed.

B

Back
Top Bottom