i found these things on my LR !!, please advise what to do .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angmoh

Aquarium Advice Regular
just went to LFS and bought 2 kg of LR .. and i found these things !!

is this a coral ? if yes, what i shall do with it ? i only have a 10gal nano tank, with 2x 15W flouroscent white light ... and yes the tank is cycled.. if this is a coral what i shall do now ? get a blue actinic light or ? does this coral need to be fed calcium or ? please tell me more !

coral.jpg

another is this creature .. looks like a coconut tree ... what is this actually ? harmful to my tank ? i have one false percula and a few LR only ...

dunno.jpg

thanks !

The first pic looks like they could possibly be some type of zoo which are pretty cool free bees. And i have no idea what the last thing is.
By the way i dont think those will hurt anything in ur tank.HTH

looking at pic one they do look like zoos but I would say its a coral of some type that is on its way out. Look at all the dead spots on the coral. almost looks like a dying gonapora (flower pot).
Pic 2 is there a tube or is it on the rock? If a tube then some type of worm, no tube then I would say a basket star which are very had to keep because they need zooplankton and lots of it to survive.
With your lighting the coral will not survive and even if you had good lighting the flower pots do not do well over a long period of time.. Its too bad they are nice corals.

I agree, the first one may be some zoos. Wait to see if they open up. The second one is a bit unussual. It looks like it could be a feather duster or fan worm of some type. Some more pics would be helpful. CA/ALK levels should be kept at appropriate levels by doing 1-2gal water changes every week on a ten ga.

ok , i have identified the second invert. it's a feather star , or Crinoids ... more info @ http://www.wetwebmedia.com/crinoids.htm

and as for the zoos , it's hard to survive in the 10gal nano tank ? then what i shall do with it ? remove it from my tank and let it die ? or i'd just put in the tank ? when it dies, will it create an ammonia spike ?

I have 7kg of LR, an air-driven skimmer, some sea-grapes and sea-grass

guys so what i shall do with the gonipora/zoos ? leave it in my tank ? or give it back to the LFS , if they wan to accept ? but since the zoos are already half-dead / dying .. i think there's no point of bringing it back to LFS ,as it might need to undergo another acclimation + stress ...

ermm i'm just worry those died-off will cause ammonia spike in my tank..

IME, it will not cause an ammonia spike (I have quite a large tank though maybe that makes a difference), but by all means moniter it in case. If it was a gonipora it was likely the encrusting type given the shape of the rock. I can't really tell though from the pic. Does the whole "rock" appear to have those "dead spots", if so maybe it is infact an almost dead coral. Does it look like a rock or like kind of a rounded disc shape?

well most of them said it is a gonio .. and yes it appears like a rounded disc shape with alot of dead spot and only a portion of gonio ....

and will it eventually bcome another LR which can also colonize alot of BB ?

That crinoids is incredible! I hope it does well for you.
I'm not sure what type of coral you have but it doesn't look like zoos to me. I wouldn't worry much about the die off. It doesn't look like it's heavily encrusted. But, yeah, the skeleton is capable of being colonized by bacteria and critters.

aww but the crinoids seem to be very hard to keep , even for experts

but it's really a graceful creature .. move like an ET with lots of legs ... hehe

Me personally thou, I'd be kinda mad if the LFS sold me a "live rock" and it turned out to be an almost dead coral. If the rock is that shape then it is shaped excatly like a flowerpot (gonipora) and is not actual live rock thou it will become "alive" I believe.

ya... most of the LFS here has only a very limited knowledge in marine :\ sigh .. also it's my fault as well .. since i didnt inspect it thoroughly ...

Back
Top Bottom