I give up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
I do not know why I cannot get this plant, whatever it maybe, to grow. I have had it for 3-4 months. Originally I had planted it into flourite/sand cap with root tab for about 1.5 months...no go...so I then tied to dw for about 4 weeks, no go, then back into subtrate and yet no go...although I do not like giving up but I do not know what else to do...I also use flourish comp and excel...any suggestions before I trash it?

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Geronica's Album: 20 Gallon High Tank & its my first planted tank - Picture

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Geronica's Album: 20 Gallon High Tank & its my first planted tank - Picture

Edit: all my other plants are doing great so IDK on this plant

I do not know why I cannot get this plant, whatever it maybe, to grow. I have had it for 3-4 months. Originally I had planted it into flourite/sand cap with root tab for about 1.5 months...no go...so I then tied to dw for about 4 weeks, no go, then back into subtrate and yet no go...although I do not like giving up but I do not know what else to do...I also use flourish comp and excel...any suggestions before I trash it?

Edit: all my other plants are doing great so IDK on this plant

Looks like an amazon sword to me, definitely a sword anyway. Needs to be in the substrate for sure so, they're heavy root feeders so maybe they're missing something. I had an amazon sword in my 55g that didn't grow at all either, but my argentine swords in my smaller tank have grown like crazy. If you have high light and dose at least excel and liquid ferts, and if you're still not happy with the plant then trash it and replace it. Some plants just take time to get settled and grow though so it may be worth the time to be patient with it

They like Root Tabs. Make sure the crown isn't buried. Decent light. Weekly PWCs. Trim off bad leaves and see if it rebounds. Looks like it has very few roots right now. Make sure it's not shaded out, but these are usually easy.

Sorry I don't have any other advice. I give mine 2-3 inches of substrate. Plant away from walls, if I can. And stand back.

I replace root tabs about every 4 months.

It has nutrient deficiency issue which looks like phosphate deficiency and possibly iron deficiency also. Swords actually like extra phosphate and iron in their root tabs. I use Iron root tabs and Phosphate root tabs from AquariumPlants.com. I believe if you plant it and give it the right root tabs it will rebound.

Looks like an amazon sword to me, definitely a sword anyway. Needs to be in the substrate for sure so, they're heavy root feeders so maybe they're missing something. I had an amazon sword in my 55g that didn't grow at all either, but my argentine swords in my smaller tank have grown like crazy. If you have high light and dose at least excel and liquid ferts, and if you're still not happy with the plant then trash it and replace it. Some plants just take time to get settled and grow though so it may be worth the time to be patient with it

It has been id as argentine sword; as stated in op it was in subtrate, fert, light 6-8 hrs, and so on for about 1.5 months and it kept declining.....

They like Root Tabs. Make sure the crown isn't buried. Decent light. Weekly PWCs. Trim off bad leaves and see if it rebounds. Looks like it has very few roots right now. Make sure it's not shaded out, but these are usually easy.

Sorry I don't have any other advice. I give mine 2-3 inches of substrate. Plant away from walls, if I can. And stand back.

I replace root tabs about every 4 months.

OP states I had been using root tabs, ferts, planted in sub, it definitely was out in the open to receive lighting, and I most definitely do my pwc weekly sometime 2x so what I have been doing hasn't brought any life to the plant.....btw my subtrate also is soil capped with sand so idk....:confused: If you look at my profile of my planted tank you can see how all other plants have thrived and I have to do trim work at least 1-2 times monthly depending on what look I am wanting out of each plant.....:confused:

It has nutrient deficiency issue which looks like phosphate deficiency and possibly iron deficiency also. Swords actually like extra phosphate and iron in their root tabs. I use Iron root tabs and Phosphate root tabs from AquariumPlants.com. I believe if you plant it and give it the right root tabs it will rebound.

Darn I wish I would have seen your post I threw it away less than 30 minutes ago:nono::hide::banghead: oh well

That plant somewhat resembled a brazil sword and those are not fully aquatic. my lfs sold me one and i put it in a pot when i figured out why it was suffering.

That plant somewhat resembled a brazil sword and those are not fully aquatic. my lfs sold me one and i put it in a pot when i figured out why it was suffering.

hmmmm well its no longer with me I have parted with it...I got it from a member on here that sold me alot of nice plants and its the only one I couldn't seem to nourish it the way need be...I am so glad I did well with my others being it is my first time caring for aquatic plants

Yeah probably a normal amazon then, but no worries! It wasn't meant to be. I know when I started flower and veggie gardening the best advice I got was "be happy if half the seeds/starters/grafts take, and pull out the rest to make room for the best of em"

Yeah probably a normal amazon then, but no worries! It wasn't meant to be. I know when I started flower and veggie gardening the best advice I got was "be happy if half the seeds/starters/grafts take, and pull out the rest to make room for the best of em"

Yes, exactly, and thanks for the encouragement for my decision....:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom