i got a puppy!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

We got our puppy today.. FINALLY.. He is six weeks old and his mom was a Cocker spanial and his dad was Chihuahua and Jack Russel. He is the most adorable puppy i have ever seen!!! The sweater is compliments of my friend Kimi from school... we stopped by to show her and she said he was "cold" so she gave that to us. He sleeps a lot and he had a lot of fleas but he has been treated and hes going to get his shots and heartworm as soon as he gets old enough. Scuba and baby aren't to sure yet, they haven't hissed or anything, they've only been sniffing at him. I think they are all going to get along great!!!

New better pics

img_537198_0_804437bef65a2f7a51c6303703de7bd9.jpg

img_537198_1_b4b141427628138ba9927a152f15c413.jpg

img_537198_2_bb9bad431d84418851ccc8718058f0cb.jpg

img_537198_3_5b042d16dd76f59ab319381f42b7fd27.jpg

What an absolutely adorable puppy! I wish I was able to have a puppy, just not home enough to properly take care of him. Congrats and what is next? I think you are going to need more room in that home of yours soon. :p

LOL!!! I love my animals!!! we live in a townhouse but its about 1200 square feet so i figure a small dog is ok :roll: Ever since my husband and i have been together we've had at least one dog... we've had our yellow lab from the beginning but when we moved in here.. well she was just to big to be cooped up in here so my husbands dad took her, but ive been missing having a dog. I love my cats and im definitely a cat person... but just something about a dog... you cant take a cat with you everywhere! LOL.
He is wearing a SWEATER... becuase he was cold :lol: I stopped by a friends house (she has 3 dogs) and he was shivering so she gave me a sweater.

we haven't thought of a name yet.. of course we JUST got him today

He's cute, but 6 weeks is very young for puppies to be taken from the litter. I always recommend 10-12 weeks and more recently other trainers started recommending 12-14. Where did you get him from?

DepotFish said:
He's cute, but 6 weeks is very young for puppies to be taken from the litter. I always recommend 10-12 weeks and more recently other trainers started recommending 12-14. Where did you get him from?

petty much rescued him... Hes eating wet and dry puppy chow and pooping really good.

See what happend is this lady called me about the puppies and gave me the guys phone number. We called him and went to look. The puppies were in pretty bad shape... He has 5 adult dogs 2 chihuahua's, 1 Cocker Spaniel, and 1 Dachsund. The dachsund and spaniel wre females and chihuahua's were males... and the cocker spaniel was the mother of the litter... ALl of his adult dogs looked really healthy but i guess he hadn't bothered to treat the puppies for fleas... they were covered and had sores from scratching. I would've taken all 3 if i could've, but we picked out the one that walked right up to us.
Anyway the vet said i could put a DROP of frontline on him only, so we gave him a good bath and put on the frontline and i combed out all the dead fleas... We also gave him a few worm pills (hookworm, roundworm, and tapeworm)

Today he is flea free!!! I've always used advantage on my cats but the frontline seems to work really good as well. My cats are starting to sniff him more and they haven't hissed at him at all!!!

Now... just gotta start working on the potty training...

Good for you for being concerned for the dogs. I have a dog from a large puppy mill. I wish more people knew about all the horrible breeders out there and they were all shut down. Good luck housetraining.

DepotFish said:
Good for you for being concerned for the dogs. I have a dog from a large puppy mill. I wish more people knew about all the horrible breeders out there and they were all shut down. Good luck housetraining.

Thanks.. this guy wasn't really a breeder... He was giving away the puppies for free... he only had his female dachsund fixed and the poor Cocker Spaniel.. this was like her 3rd litter from his 2 unfixed Chihuahuas. It was kind of sad really.. like there aren't enough animals in the world that need a home :( But at least i got a new friend out of the deal!!!

Thanks!!! Well i took him to the vet on Friday and they said the first set of shots was to be given at 8 weeks and she looked at his teeth and said he was old enough.. so he got his shots, got wormed, and i got a puppy kit with his free first month of heartgeard and another frontline. He goes back in 4 weeks for his second set of shots, and then at 4 months he goes for his Rabies and 3'rd set of puppy shots.. the its yearly after that.

The potty training is the tough part. LOL

DeFeKt said:
rub his nose in it 8O

well that has to be the worst advice ever!!! You should never rub an animals nose in thier feces or urine. For one, it can damage their sense of smell. Also many parasites and diseases are transmitted via the fecal/oral rout and if you are trying to get rid of parasites... worm medicine kills live worms, not ova... and if they ingest feces with ova they get infested again.

He's actually doing pretty good... we use a crate and when we are home we take him out every 2 hours... and when we aren't home he goes in the crate. But he still has accidents on occassion... well we've only had him since wednesday.. LOL.

this worked well with my pup (who is now 5) and the only time he ever made a mistake was when I forgot to take him out once. Anyway, when I first got him it was summer time and I didn't have a job so I took him outside every 20 minutes during the day and picked up his food and water bowl two hours before bedtime. This was for the first two weeks. The next week I extended it to every 30 minutes, then every 45 minutes the following week, then every hour, hour and a half, two hours, three times a day, two times a day. He also went with me to the barn (which I guess was my job that summer) and spent plenty of hours outside running with a pack of dogs (great for socialization). Oh, and use the same command every time you take the pup out to go to the bathroom. It helps them distinguish going outside for playing/walking/running and going outside to do their "business."

*edit* you might want to take him out more frequently because he is such a small pup. Puppies and small dogs have itty bitty bladders. That will help with the accidents too.

You never rub a nose in it! They can't associate the punishment with the accident, it just damages the relationship with the rub-er and make the rub-er look ridiculous! Well, that's what my dog training for dummies book says.

What a cute puppy! I would agree that it's the cutest I've ever seen, but I just got my Sisco, so I can't, but I can say, one of the two cutest puppies I've ever seen.

Keep in mind, as I have learned over the last couple weeks, if the puppy seems to understand where to go potty, but still has accidents, especially if it's piddling in a line as opposed to squating in one spot, it could be a urinary tract infection. That is common in puppies and mine is on meds for it now. Fortunately, he does understand and claws the sliding glass door when he needs to go. The piddling is getting much less as the meds take effect, but he's also 15 weeks old, so you have a ways to go.

I think the AKC book says accidents up to six months are common.

Good luck, enjoy the puppy.

What a cute pup! I remember when my little black pomeranian was a small puffball. Good luck and congrats! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom