I hate this stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've actually seen some vals melt because of excel. E- How often and how much water do you change? What is your stocking? This may be one of the very few cases where reducing PWCs may be called for along with reduced lighting, manual removal, and maybe up to a 3 day blackout.

BBA is a tough one to crack. We have tanks side by side, under the same lighting, identical parameters, fed equally, yada yada where one is immaculate and the other is full of it. If the tank did not have vals or crypts, I'd probably recommend Glutaraldehyde treatment.

Really?

Wow, was it a dosing issue, too much? Or just from extended use of Excel? I've never had any problems so I'm curious and don't want that happening to mine.

Too much. I think... Dosed to kill BBA and I'm afraid that the "more is better" approach failed. If I needed to do it again, I'd probably opt for gradual increases over time.

If Binny's doesnt a winery shop WILL have it. add a touch of brown sugar as well, it seems to even out the production rather then giving it off in bursts as with sugar,yeast,luke warm water and baking soda.

Ok, thanks hn1. I will remove 1 bulb tonight but i might just start my DIY Co2 here in the next week or so if the DIY really works and then add the bulb. I didnt know that, you learn something new everyday. I am gonna do a water change this weekend and then it is lights out for 4 days stupid BBA.

You might also consider picking up some Amano shrimp if you have access to them. I have a tank sitting about 2 feet from where I am typing this with some BBA and I am watching as my amano is going to town diligently tugging at it and eating it. They aren't going to eliminate the problem entirely--especially not in a 75 gallon--but if your blackout kills most of it than the amanos might very well munch on what is left and help keep it in check.

You might also consider picking up some Amano shrimp if you have access to them. I have a tank sitting about 2 feet from where I am typing this with some BBA and I am watching as my amano is going to town diligently tugging at it and eating it. They aren't going to eliminate the problem entirely--especially not in a 75 gallon--but if your blackout kills most of it than the amanos might very well munch on what is left and help keep it in check.

That is great to know they like it but they would be lunch in my tank the instant they hit the water. :grab:

Back
Top Bottom