I hate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Cyanobacteria! :banghead:

This stupid stuff is the spawn of the devil. I have gotten it once before in my betta's tank and now in my ADF tank. I am now having to bleach another 5g and start over. Can anybody tell me what all I can do to avoid this junk? I know it thrives in tanks with little current, but I don't want my frogs getting blown around.:nono:

BGA also thrives in tanks with very little nitrogen. I started getting it in my 40B recently because the duckweed was sucking up all the nutrients. A larger dose of Flourish and taking out some of the duckweed clear it right up.

My tank has a fair bit of current all over and I still get it here and there.

Since I started with DIY dry ferts it seems to get less. But still pops up.

I guess the reason I'm having the problem is due to low nitrates. On some of my planted tanks I will get a 0-5ppm nitrate reading when it has been 10 days since my last water change. I may have to dose some flourish in my ram tank as I think it has CB too. Nasty stuff.

I can suggest you try some Potassium Nitrate. It should about $1 for 50 grams at any pharmacy. They sell it over here as Saltpeter.

Mix the 50g with 500ml distilled water and add 5 ml per 10 gal per week. Can adjust from there.

This is what I use for my planted tank and it limits the growth of CB.

I can suggest you try some Potassium Nitrate. It should about $1 for 50 grams at any pharmacy. They sell it over here as Saltpeter.

Mix the 50g with 500ml distilled water and add 5 ml per 10 gal per week. Can adjust from there.

This is what I use for my planted tank and it limits the growth of CB.

Awesome, thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom