I have a baby nerita snail!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so much to my surprise I look in my tank and find a baby nerita snail in there! I thought it was impossible for them to breed in fresh water!

but ... now that I am typing this I am beginning to wonder if this is a piggy back off of the java moss i put in there...

he is itty bitty - how can I tell? he looks like a baby nerita to me...

If he popped up a bit after you introduced a plant into a fw tank, I promise that he is not a nerite snail, but some sort of pond or bladder snail.

What is a nerita snail?

I'm assuming nerite. It is theoretically impossible, in my opinion.

Chances are it is simply a baby pond/ramshorn snail.

Once it gets big enough to take a picture, you can post it here and we will ID it for you.

Can you tell from this pic... I know he is small

Attachments

• image-4281342047.jpg
    image-4281342047.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 96
plants were added apr 25 - 2 weeks ago. does that sound about right? how fast do these little guys grow and they WILL reproduce right?

Most certainly a pond snail. Thanks absolute for the quick responses here :p.

You can manually remove them or squish them if you don't like them. They're perfectly harmless though.

No prob. ;)
Yep, they are harmless. I leave all mine alone because I love their little optical tentacles. But, to each their own. :)

Haha! I have the perfect place for them - my 90 gallon has loaches in there. If the survive great! I would love some cleaning and if they are eaten that is fine too cuz I don't have room for lots of snails!! I love my little nerites but can't really be making babies in there
Thanks for everyone's quick help!

Back
Top Bottom