I have a fluval 305 canister filter, what would be the best media to put inside?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquariumfreak101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey i have a 55 g reef aquarium,I've got a few questions for anyone who's kind enough to answer them.

1.I have a fluval 305 canister filter, what would be the best media to put inside?

2.I've bin adding fuel for a supplement, what are some suggestions of what I should use to cover everything for my aquarium ?

The best thing you can do with the 305 is justnot use it, unless you clean it weekly it will become a nitrate factory. Media is better used in a reactor because the water is forced through it, with a canister or bag of media most water will flow around it.

I know people dont like canister filters on their sw tanks but i had great luck with my fluval 305 on my 55g reef.

Like mentioned though you need to clean it out every week or two tops, it can trap all the nasties and cause water parameter issues if it's not maintained.

As far as running media through it, well, thats the plus of a canister. :-D I was running filter pads, carbon every other month, gfo when needed and biomedia rocks which I only rinsed with tank water and reused. pretty simple setup and I maintained 0 nitrates while I was using it. Not the best option for filtration of a saltwater tank but still a viable one.

Good luck!

I also use a 305 in my corals tank. Its a 30 gal. tank and I couldn't b happier with the performance of this canister filter. I did add a spray bar and surface skimmer to the return and intake.

The best thing you can do with the 305 is justnot use it, unless you clean it weekly it will become a nitrate factory. Media is better used in a reactor because the water is forced through it, with a canister or bag of media most water will flow around it.

+1 just use the canister as your mechanical filter.

Back
Top Bottom