I have babies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have baby mollies! I thought she was pregnant when I got her but I really didn't think she would have them so soon! I went out and bout some grass for hiding spots. I hope some are smart! I have seen my gourami eat at least 4-5 already

HeatherW said:
I have baby mollies! I thought she was pregnant when I got her but I really didn't think she would have them so soon! I went out and bout some grass for hiding spots. I hope some are smart! I have seen my gourami eat at least 4-5 already

Congratulations! That happened to my friend, the little fish grew up to only about an inch and then something got him just recently lol. I'm no expert on breeding (or anything on fish for that matter) but I dont think it's a good idea to keep fry with gourami. Especially since you've already lost some.

They are all hunting them! How long will this go on? Poor little guys!?

Im not sure, I'm not an expert on this. But I assume that the fry will eventually be eaten unless they are hiding (Which they probably are).

Well yes I am sure some are hiding but the pet store guy said they will have to get pretty big to be safe from the gourami. He said maybe neon tetra big! ? how long will that take?

If you want them to live, take them out or put them in a mesh breeder.
Even if they get full today and stop eating, they will hunt again tomorrow!

cheeky_monkey said:
If you want them to live, take them out or put them in a mesh breeder.
Even if they get full today and stop eating, they will hunt again tomorrow!

Congrats !! Yes I would do this ^ I have my own fry tank because my platy eat their baby's or have a lot more hiding places and where gourami can't get in.

Do I need to feed everyone more often now?
If I leave them in the tank will some of them survive with the gourami in there?
What about the mom? Should I give her something now or just wait 'till morning?

HeatherW said:
Do I need to feed everyone more often now?
If I leave them in the tank will some of them survive with the gourami in there?
What about the mom? Should I give her something now or just wait 'till morning?

I doubt they will survive in the tank. I agree with the mesh breeder. You can leave the mom alone

HeatherW said:
Well yes I am sure some are hiding but the pet store guy said they will have to get pretty big to be safe from the gourami. He said maybe neon tetra big! dde12 how long will that take?

It took mine 8-10 wks... For 1"
I sell mine at about 1 1/4"--1 1/2" ... @ approx 13-16 wks

Things have calmed down in my tank. Amazingly the little fry are able to swim around and the big guys leave them alone. So happy! Now we will see how manyake it 3 months from now ?

Gouramis are pretty persistent. I think they will all get eaten! It takes 3-4 weeks for them to get too big to snack on. If you separate some, and feed them a lot, they'll grow faster.

I didn't have a breeder net when my black mollies were born, so I made my own. I took a round disposable rubbermade container, the thinner kind, and cut three big holes in the side about as big around as a coffee cup. I put it in a knee high panty hose. I hot glued around the top, and hot glued two suction cups to the side. I stuck it in the tank so the top was about 1/2 above the water line. I fed mine crushed flake food about 3 times a day, that's all they ever got. You could keep just a few that way if you want to make sure a few survive.

My babies were born 6-22-11, and they are all happy and healthy! I only lost 2 out of the 13 that were born.

Mine seem to be doing ok right now. Just hanging out in the open (but with hiding spots close by)

Attachments

• image-409509088.jpg
    image-409509088.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 49
Are these Black Mollies?
yep! born on thursday! I didn't think she would have them so soon so had to run out and get some hiding spots really quick. they seem to be doing fine (after the first day of hunting!) :lol: now everyone seems to have calmed down and they are able to be out and about. we will see how many are left in a few months ;)

Back
Top Bottom