I have wigglers!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^^Thanks for that Andy!^^
Right on time I wonder and have probably missed how you transfer fish/fry from first tank to second?
I have many rams(you know) and wonder if I am moving them from first tank to next correctly?
Just picked up my last (not forever by any means) 6@10gtanks and now and wonder if I get in gear how to properly move my fry from 5, or 10g after 1 month to the next grow out?
Also following on paying more attention to the problem child then the good son.(as you are?)
I want more yellows and have paid less attention to the GBR that brought them to me!
I need to go back to "grass roots" more then specialty ,but it so hard.......

I try to hatch my eggs in the tank the fry will be in for the first 30 days. With rams, if you are letting the parents hatch out the eggs, this does not apply. The best way to move the fry is to either siphon them out or pour them into a new container/tank. I try not to use nets if at all possible until the fish are much older. In the case of my Angels, I usually siphon all the water from the hatching tank into a grow out tank then add new water to it daily until the tank is full. In the case of the fry going into a tank on my flow through system, I just move the whole 9 gals of water( what a typical 10 gal tank actually holds) and let the drip system fill the tank over time. easy peezy :brows::D With my 10 gals on the bottom row, I tend to need to siphon most of the water into buckets then pour it into the new tank. For the last gallon or so, that will have most of the fry in it, I just take the tank off the rack and pour it into a container that I can pour into the new tank. By doing it this way, the fry are basically just being drip acclimated slowly into the new water opposed to having to adjust to all new water at one time. It's "Old school" for sure but it works so why change it? ;) (y)

Hope this helps (y)

Andy, the ammonia is between .25-.5 ppm in the breeding tank. I've been doing a 25% water change at least once a day and have done a few 50% changes. I'm only feeding them twice a day and have put some hornwart free floating in the tank. I just finished planting my 15 yesterday. It has organic potting soil with a Flourite cap. There is some Ludwigia, scarlet temple, mint Charlie, pennywort, wisteria and an amazon in it. There are 2 dwarf Lillies bulbs planted in there but they have to grow yet. I put that penguin 100 for the filter. That's going to be the tank for the fry when they get to big to be in the breeder tank. Now I just have to wait for Adam & Eve to get busy!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439422661.352645.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Andy, the ammonia is between .25-.5 ppm in the breeding tank. I've been doing a 25% water change at least once a day and have done a few 50% changes. I'm only feeding them twice a day and have put some hornwart free floating in the tank. I just finished planting my 15 yesterday. It has organic potting soil with a Flourite cap. There is some Ludwigia, scarlet temple, mint Charlie, pennywort, wisteria and an amazon in it. There are 2 dwarf Lillies bulbs planted in there but they have to grow yet. I put that penguin 100 for the filter. That's going to be the tank for the fry when they get to big to be in the breeder tank. Now I just have to wait for Adam & Eve to get busy!
View attachment 276482

Well it sounds like your sponge filter was not cycled or properly cycled so I would continue doing the water changes and adding the PRIME to keep the ammonia in it's less toxic (ammonium) state. Be on the watch for nitrites to be appearing as well. With so few fry, it's going to be difficult not to be overfeeding so you need to make sure you siphon out the uneaten food before you feed again.
The 15 looks nice but it's going to be a while before the fry should be in such a tank. While it is pleasant to look at from a human perspective, the fry are going to have a hard time finding their food in it. So you need to wait until the fry are taking food from the surface of the tank before you move them to the new tank. Once they know that food comes from above, it doesn't matter what's below to them. ;) (y)

Thanks Andy. I don't plan on moving them until then. I'll let you know how it goes.

I put 3 Platty's, 2 red and black, one black into the planted to help cycle the plant. I was sure they were 3 males!? Now there are 6-7 Platty's in there! Has to be the Reds. The black is way to young to be reproducing. I'd ask how that happened, but even I can figure that one out! Hopefully the tank will set up quicker !!!

I put 3 Platty's, 2 red and black, one black into the planted to help cycle the plant. I was sure they were 3 males!? Now there are 6-7 Platty's in there! Has to be the Reds. The black is way to young to be reproducing. I'd ask how that happened, but even I can figure that one out! Hopefully the tank will set up quicker !!!

Ooops :eek::brows::lol: (y)

Back
Top Bottom