I know nothing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbr61263

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello everyone. Just inherited a 130L aquarium from my father in law.
I filled it up yesterday after getting some new filter stuff. Its an aqua one 620T. I filledit up with water, and dosed it with some "tap safe" stuff. I also built up some slate in one corner. I got a resin model mangrove root system which looks good, but is quite big. I would like to have live plants, but I am a bit worried about how I keep carbon dioxide up to stop algae 9which seems , from what I read hearto be a potential probelm).
I am planning on (hoping to be ready to) put a few crittersin next weekend. the guy at the localshops suggested some from their stock which would be tough enough for starting. I htink I am likely to go for a few leopard danios. they are 5 for £5. is 5 too many for starting (wihtout anyhting else) in a 130L tank?

Welcome to AA!

If you're only running the stock lighting, then you're lighting will be quite low. Or, if you upgrade you lighting for your plants, as long as you stay below around 2 watts per gallon, you shouldn't need any CO2 supplementation.

Please read the articles in my signature about the nitrogen cycle and fishless cycling. I'd highly recommend that you cycle your tank without fish before adding any fish to it.

ok. thanks. Had a look through that. I am a little way in already. I dont have any pure ammonia, but have ut a small amount of fish food in. should I expect to see some ammonia produced as that breaks down? and what kind of timescale? I wont have chance to do anyhting like getting ammonia for a day or two (I am a full time student, which means monday am til wednesday i am away from home).

Welcome to AA! Fishless cycling can take anywhere from a couple to a few weeks. If you are able to get some media from an established tank it will speed things up.

Back
Top Bottom