I need a cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my tank is pretty much set up I just need a fish or a group to clean the crud off the bottom any ideas

55 gallon
10 neon tetras
6 bleeding heart tetras
5 guppies
2 powder blue gourami
2 cockatoo cichlids (triple reds)

I would definitely recommend corys. They are a great clean up crew and fantastic to watch, I started a thread about them an have pics on there if u wanna check it out.

In your tank, you could add corys or loaches or possibly both. Kuhli loaches and corys would make good scavengers in the tank, though its always best to feed scavengers too. Or, you could get some larger loaches like zebras or angelicus. I'd say a 55 is large enough for 2 groups of small bottom feeders like the cory/kuhli combo, but not 2 larger species.

Snails are also good for cleaning up. IMO malysian trumpet snails are a beneficial addition to just about any tank.

Definitely corys, have you looked at orange lasers? If algae is an issue, a bristlenose pleco would Work too!

I posted a similar thread a couple days ago. I got some great answers on different fish and inverts. I can't link the thread since I'm on my iPad, but it's in the general discussion forum called "I need a cleanup crew".

I am getting 5 panda corys. They stay small and are actually cute and compatible with your fish. Check them out. I looked up the lazers and they get bigger.

Deckape said:
I am getting 5 panda corys. They stay small and are actually cute and compatible with your fish. Check them out. I looked up the lazers and they get bigger.

Yes... But they're sooooooooo pretty!

How much bigger are the orange lasers than the pandas and how many should I get

xfactor6699 said:
How much bigger are the orange lasers than the pandas and how many should I get

The lasers get to be about three inches, and the pandas get to about 1-2 if I'm correct. I'd get 4-5 of each.

Your welcome! I just figure that the more people like them, the more popular they'll get, and the more likely my petsmart will get some. ;)

If you want to breed your apistos, I wouldn't put in any bottom feeders. If you don't care whether you have fry or not, then I would suggest cories as well. You have a good sized tank for cories so you can keep any species you like.

Your welcome! I just figure that the more people like them, the more popular they'll get, and the more likely my petsmart will get some. ;)

Probably not going to happen.... hopefully. The last thing that independent businesses need is for petChains to actually become competitive in terms of livestock selection and health. ;)

severum mama said:
If you want to breed your apistos, I wouldn't put in any bottom feeders. If you don't care whether you have fry or not, then I would suggest cories as well. You have a good sized tank for cories so you can keep any species you like.

Probably not going to happen.... hopefully. The last thing that independent businesses need is for petChains to actually become competitive in terms of livestock selection and health. ;)

Lol, it'd still be nice for us consumers though.

[/QUOTE]
Probably not going to happen.... hopefully. The last thing that independent businesses need is for petChains to actually become competitive in terms of livestock selection and health. ;)[/QUOTE]

For people who only have chain stores and are not willing or able to order offline, it would be helpful to have more of a selection, or we will be forever with the regular fish that everybody gets.

My only lfs has dead fish all over the place or ich infected tanks. I won't buy from him because of this.

Earl May or petsmart are the only places I have. Other than Walmart, which I'm obviously not going to buy from.

For people who only have chain stores and are not willing or able to order offline, it would be helpful to have more of a selection, or we will be forever with the regular fish that everybody gets.

My only lfs has dead fish all over the place or ich infected tanks. I won't buy from him because of this.

Earl May or petsmart are the only places I have. Other than Walmart, which I'm obviously not going to buy from.[/QUOTE]

+1

xfactor6699, cories or kuhlis would make good tank mates for them. You don't necessarily need bottom feeders if you do regular gravel vacs and are careful to not overfeed.

Earl May or petsmart are the only places I have. Other than Walmart, which I'm obviously not going to buy from.

+1[/QUOTE]

Do you guys think that the quality of PetChains will improve if they put locally owned shops out of business and effectively eliminate their competition? Where is the incentive for improvement then?

Back
Top Bottom