I need a fish thats a maid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i have a 6'' Oscar and Jack Demps in a 90g tank. They are a bit messy you could say and was wondering if theres any other fish that could join them that would clean up after them? I hear tin foil barbs are good but i was thinking something more like a catfish. There is no ideaing area in the tank however its just an bare bottom open aquarium nothing in it other then fish to keep water quality the best possible. I do 50% water changes each week. some times two if needed.

Maybe add another filter? For a Catfish I would do an African Featherfin but before you add one put a log or something for it to hide in on the bottom.

+1 for african feather fin. I have one with a JD, black belt cichlid and firemouth and they all fear it. For good reason too, they have teeth and spines and one of them can definately hold its own.

A bristle nose pleco is another option. It isn't messy and can defend itself with spines.

Yes it's for cleaning up food and left overs. The filtration is more then enough. 2 405s and 2 large sponge filters.

Ok, a featherfin would be a great addition! Just be sure its a decent size though!

Yeah of course. Will it be fine without any decoration? Because nothing will be going in the tank for it to take shelter in. Maybe a PVC pipe but idk if I'd want to do that even.

No its need a hiding spot. A log or PVC pipe would work but without any it will become stressed.

CleverBs said:
Yeah of course. Will it be fine without any decoration? Because nothing will be going in the tank for it to take shelter in. Maybe a PVC pipe but idk if I'd want to do that even.

It definitely needs a cave

I would like to just add my 2 cents and take it for what it's worth. And I'm not knocking you or anyone that has posted.

IMHO to add another fish for the purpose of keeping a tank clean is the wrong reason to add a fish. Water changes, testing, great filtration and not over feeding is key.

Now I know these fish are messy but you 2 very big fish in a 90 gallon and adding an additional will only add to your bio load. Pleco's are great fish, pretty to look at but are poop machines. And feather fins are also pretty fish but they too can get big. Mine is about 5 inches at least.

Adding a fish to help "clean" a tank may seem like a great idea but your only adding to the issue at hand... A messy tank.

Maybe more frequent water changes, bump up filtration if you can and like you stated siphon the waste and the uneaten food will help out greatly.

Cut back on feeding maybe?

I just think adding a fish in this case may be the best route to. I could be totally wrong here but again this is just my opinion.

I would like to just add my 2 cents and take it for what it's worth. And I'm not knocking you or anyone that has posted.

IMHO to add another fish for the purpose of keeping a tank clean is the wrong reason to add a fish. Water changes, testing, great filtration and not over feeding is key.

Now I know these fish are messy but you 2 very big fish in a 90 gallon and adding an additional will only add to your bio load. Pleco's are great fish, pretty to look at but are poop machines. And feather fins are also pretty fish but they too can get big. Mine is about 5 inches at least.

Adding a fish to help "clean" a tank may seem like a great idea but your only adding to the issue at hand... A messy tank.

Maybe more frequent water changes, bump up filtration if you can and like you stated siphon the waste and the uneaten food will help out greatly.

Cut back on feeding maybe?

I just think adding a fish in this case may be the best route to. I could be totally wrong here but again this is just my opinion.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my interest in getting the cleanup fish. There is nothing wrong with my water quality at all I have a 6" Oscar and jack in a tank that always has less then 10ppm nitrate. My interest is purely to have a fish that will clean up after the Oscar and jack. They make a huge mess when they eat. They grab the food and eat what seems to be 1/2 of the bite they took them move onto the next and not dealing with the 10 small prices of food they just spit out. Right now I siphon after the 2nd feeding at night and I do this almost daily. I do not intend to get a fish that will make it so I don't have to do maitnece. I know this isn't possible and a pointless reason to add a fish. But I like a clean tank and having decaying beef heart, shrimp, worms, ext rotting on the bottom I do not enjoy and if theres a fish that will happily live with those two in my aquarium and would enjoy eating the scraps then I want that fish lol. I have been caring for my tanks for quite some time and do extensive research before making purchases. The reason I don't want a cat fish is because I am unwilling to put anything in the tank for them to hide in beings I have two large fish in a 90g I want them to have as much space as possible that's why I didn't fill my tank with sand and rocks and driftwood. I know that you where not attacking or lecturing I was just wanting to explain my position so that there wasn't a misunderstanding.

If your feeding pellets feed smaller sized pellets. I feed my Oscar baby pellets and he is about 3 inches. The reasoning behind this is that they swallow the smaller pellets whole . When you feed bigger pellets the tend to crush them up and expel pieces out of their gills causing a messy tank .

If your feeding pellets feed smaller sized pellets. I feed my Oscar baby pellets and he is about 3 inches. The reasoning behind this is that they swallow the smaller pellets whole . When you feed bigger pellets the tend to crush them up and expel pieces out of their gills causing a messy tank .

I don't feed pellets and they get messier and messier as they get bigger.

If you feeding flakes that will make a mess. Feeding the right size pellets will not cause I mess. You clearly stated they are expelling wasted food from their gills. Smaller pellets is the remedy for that as well as not feeding flakes

What do you feed?

I dot feed flakes or pellets. I personally hate flakes and think no fish should suffer through eating them. Pellets I'll feed to some tanks but typically only community fish. In tanks that have fish that all enjoy the same foods I never feed pellets or flakes because if I was a fish I would be pissed if I had to eat dried up food lol.

I feed to my Oscar the following in order of what he eats most often : beef heart, raw shrimp, night crawlers, blood worms, mysis shrimp, my own breed feeder guppies. He's feed twice a day Normally two different things once in the morning and once at night.

CleverBs said:
I dot feed flakes or pellets. I personally hate flakes and think no fish should suffer through eating them. Pellets I'll feed to some tanks but typically only community fish. In tanks that have fish that all enjoy the same foods I never feed pellets or flakes because if I was a fish I would be pissed if I had to eat dried up food lol.

I feed to my Oscar the following in order of what he eats most often : beef heart, raw shrimp, night crawlers, blood worms, mysis shrimp, my own breed feeder guppies. He's feed twice a day Normally two different things once in the morning and once at night.

Fair enough. I see your point but maybe you could use a Turkey baster to suck food particles back out. Just an idea. It'd be easier than vaccuming after each meal.

Back
Top Bottom