I need an algae eater for Mbuna tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm getting a lot of algae happening in my 75 gallon tank. I have two 48" T8s since originally the tank was going to be a community tank with lower light plants. Mostly diatoms which I was hoping it was because it was a newer tank. But now I'm starting to get a bit more of the green stuff too. Tanks shown no ammonia/nitrites for weeks and very little nitrates. What algae consumers would do best in this tank? Just BN plecos? Do they clean algae well?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Algae eaters don't eat enough to clean a tank that's got an algae bloom. Try more frequent water changes and turn off the lights more frequently.

Yeah I'm sure it'll mellow down a bit. But I know I've got a bit more light then ideal so I'm sure afterwards I'll still have some. I'd like a few snails but I don't want them to be escargot so soon lol

I e read that people turn the lights off for a half hour or so in the middle of the on time to prevent algae. But wouldn't that stress the fish since they'd have to adjust to the left and whatnot or think it's nighttime when it's not

Yea snails definitely won't work. I had them in my community tank. Loved watching them.

Unless your in a blacked out room the lights going off during the day in a somewhat sun lit room won't matter. I'd recommend leaving lights off during the day if your not home. How many bulbs are in your housing unit?

It's a two bulb 48" t8 shop fixture. One bulb is 6500k and the other is powerglow. I've had them on 10 hours before like my other tanks have been fine with, but am trying 9 now. Probably still too much, but it's a shame to have such nice fish and tank and not be able to see them for much of the day :/

I e read that people turn the lights off for a half hour or so in the middle of the on time to prevent algae. But wouldn't that stress the fish since they'd have to adjust to the left and whatnot or think it's nighttime when it's not

No this is perfectly normal in planted tanks. We use the break in the photoperiod to help limit algae growth.

Fish are fine. I have 2 breaks in mine on the 75g

Caleb

Ok do you think a break would help if it couldn't be completely dark being in the living room? And how long would make a difference?

Ok do you think a break would help if it couldn't be completely dark being in the living room? And how long would make a difference?

Each of my breaks are an hour long. If this isn't a planted tank then it doesn't matter, lights are just aesthetics turn it on when you want.

Caleb

I have mine on a timer so even though I'm only here after 4 on the weekdays, it would be nice to have them on during the weekend :/ maybe I'll put a break mid afternoon so it's not so late that it's on

Just as Caleb said try a break, siesta. I have a planted and run my leds for 6hrs. 0700-1000 break 1200-1500. Also more frequent wc will help. You can also spot treat with h2o2.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How old would this tank be? Stocking?wc routine? Feedings?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a newer tank. Have been clear of Ammonia and nitrites for about two weeks now. Fed once per day alternating with cichlids pellets and spirilina flakes. What they eat in 30 seconds or so. Water changes weekly of 30%ish and hardly anything for nitrates with such young and few fish. 4 acei and 5 yellow labs all within 1.5-2". So I'm sure most of it is the usual outbreak while it stabilizes more. But i haven't ran into this on other tanks and also expect some more considering the amount of light it is seeing without any plants to use it. I'm more looking for a cleanup crew to help down the road as I'm sure I'll get some algae at least still

I'll try a break in between

Tank get any natural light?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I also tried snails but my smaller alto compressiceps ate them, so I introduced a small plec whose fins were eaten after day 2, but he takes no nonsense now... he has been in there over a year and he chases my haps if they even think about it!

A bit of light maybe, nothing direct but it is in my living room with a window on the other wall. My smaller tanks, also with pool filter sand and whatnot never bloomed and I had the lights on for longer. Just seemed to be the only thing changed is lighting and size of the tank

I was gonna chime in and suggest youre getting some natural light. Ice had the issues myself and once i blocked the direct light it worked itself out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I stopped feeding my fish pellets and went back to flakes. Algae is disappearing at a phenomenal rate. I couldn't believe it.

I had my old 29 gallon there for a long time and never seen any algea. But maybe since its significantly bigger, it could be more in the light. But there is never any "direct" light hitting it.

And for the pellets, i guess that is another thing to add to the list of differences between this and my other tanks. Ive been feeding different food to these guys. I did just get a tub of NLS sinking pellets so maybe if i see a difference it could be chalked up to the old ones

Back
Top Bottom