I need betta basics, help me out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are very hardy IMHO, just remember they have been in those cups and shipping all over the creation for weeks without water changes or food. It might be hard to find females at Walmart, if I were you I would make sure they are females and not short tail males. Check out this link to be sure of the genders. how to sex bettas . It is so easy to catch the betta bug! I caught it from my cousins poor betta in a tiny bowl with no filter or heater! Needless to say, my first betta was a rescue mission as well :). As far as filtration goes, bettas don't like much water flow, so a spounge filter would be the best. An air pump is not needed, as bettas are labyrinth fish, so they breathe air from the surface. A HOB would be a no-no, because of the heavy flow. I have this filter in all of my tanks. Aquarium Sponge Filter | ATI | Bio Filters & Replacement Hydro Sponges

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For males a sponge filter can be a decent idea because of the direct flow potentially shredding their tails. I personally remedied this by using a canister filter with a spray bar attachment. However, females have much smaller tails and there are very few problems if any that arise from having a HOB filter with a female betta tank.

Personally I would go with an Aqua clear filter for a betta tank.

I have an aquaclear already so that was my first thought. :)

The internal one I linked also says it has a small spray bar which I thought would diffuse the flow a bit.

To be honest, I dont get the sponge filter thing. lol If I use a powerhead it will flow out of the sponge, how does that suction up any yuck that is in the tank? I tried to run the sponge thing once before and didnt get it or didnt install it right, I dont know but it didnt seem to do anything.

I have an aquaclear already so that was my first thought. :)

The internal one I linked also says it has a small spray bar which I thought would diffuse the flow a bit.

To be honest, I dont get the sponge filter thing. lol If I use a powerhead it will flow out of the sponge, how does that suction up any yuck that is in the tank? I tried to run the sponge thing once before and didnt get it or didnt install it right, I dont know but it didnt seem to do anything.
Sponge filters are awesome for biological filtration. Using one withan air pump, the air will flow through the uplift tube pulling water with it. This will create auction through the sponge. The obscene amount of filter material that Maes up a sponge filter gives you a ton of room for BB. However, they are awful for mechanical filtration.

I've got limited betta experience, only having had one male (the one I have now!)

I've got a little aquaclear filter on that tank. At first I had a bottle baffle on it, which worked great, but I took it off recently and found that the flow doesn't seem to bug him. I guess that really depends from betta to betta - this one is quite active and aggressive, and though he has long, flowy fins, they're not as big as the one in Mebbid's avatar!

I'd love to have a tank with lots of females. But then I also want to try a salt-water tank with some shy-sharks, and a tank tall enough for angels, and a bristle-nose pleco, and...

I've got limited betta experience, only having had one male (the one I have now!)

I've got a little aquaclear filter on that tank. At first I had a bottle baffle on it, which worked great, but I took it off recently and found that the flow doesn't seem to bug him. I guess that really depends from betta to betta - this one is quite active and aggressive, and though he has long, flowy fins, they're not as big as the one in Mebbid's avatar!

I'd love to have a tank with lots of females. But then I also want to try a salt-water tank with some shy-sharks, and a tank tall enough for angels, and a bristle-nose pleco, and...

Haha yeah, that betta was the one I bought a canister filter specifically for :) He passed away after owning him for about a year and a half :( Judging by his size I'd guess he was pushing 3 years old.

Ok guys, then I guess I will get a new sponge for the filter thingee I have and see if I can make it work. lol Just walk me through this, you put an airstone in the long plastic tube that goes up the center? Gonna try to find the filter spongey thing and take a picture so you all know what I am talking about lol

Here's a video for a DIY sponge filter someone on the forums recommended me. Even if you don't make your own, it explains how it works pretty well. I'm making one right now; I'll post pics later today.

I went searching for that sponge filter base but I can't find it. :-( Now that I think about it I may have thrown it away when I couldnt figure it out.

I did run across a topfin hang on back and 2 aquaclears, a 20 and a 50. I think I may try one of them out. I have a brand new heater for the tank too, ran across that too. Though it doesnt get too cold down here in florida. lol What temp do they like anyways? I know my saltwater tanks are kept at like 78-80 and they dont even require a heater.
As far as substrate, will the cheapo gravel work from petco? The stuff that comes in colors? or would a natural neutral color be better? adn ph is the same as regular fresh water? Like 6? or higher? I only keep cichlids which need a high ph so I am not 100% sure on bettas. :)
And finally, I would think I can insta cycle the tank by using filter media/gravel from my cichlid tank, would that be accurate? Another reason I was leaning towards using one of the aquaclears, I can easily insert some filter floss/pads right into it.

I went searching for that sponge filter base but I can't find it. :-( Now that I think about it I may have thrown it away when I couldnt figure it out.

I did run across a topfin hang on back and 2 aquaclears, a 20 and a 50. I think I may try one of them out. I have a brand new heater for the tank too, ran across that too. Though it doesnt get too cold down here in florida. lol What temp do they like anyways? I know my saltwater tanks are kept at like 78-80 and they dont even require a heater.
As far as substrate, will the cheapo gravel work from petco? The stuff that comes in colors? or would a natural neutral color be better? adn ph is the same as regular fresh water? Like 6? or higher? I only keep cichlids which need a high ph so I am not 100% sure on bettas. :)
And finally, I would think I can insta cycle the tank by using filter media/gravel from my cichlid tank, would that be accurate? Another reason I was leaning towards using one of the aquaclears, I can easily insert some filter floss/pads right into it.

You can insta cycle your tank by just putting some of the filter media from your cichlid tank into the betta tank. You could even put a handfull of gravel into a filter bag. Either way I would still try to run a little bit of a fishless cycle on it. You will need to add all the female bettas at once to prevent some territory issues and it would be best to have a fully cycled tank.

For substrate - Anything works.

pH - Not super important. As long as it's above 6.5 and below 8.5 you will be fine.

Temperature - Mid to high 70s

Thanks mebid.....appreciate it....

I wasnt aware that I had to add them all at once. lol I still have a fresh bottle of dr tims too so I can add that with the filter media and gravel from the cichlid tank. That shoudl ensure a solid biological filter. :)

Also, have a spare smaller tank in case any females get overly aggressive. A little nipping for a while is normal, I mean actively hunting the others.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am going to jump in here and just warn you that without a lot of plants and decor, a lot of betta sororities fail. A lot! So, make sure to watch for issues with bullying and be prepared that you may have to set up an extra tank if you need to move some bettas out. I think sororities look amazing when people have them up and running. They seem to usually take a lot of work, and often some swaps happen. Bettas are also fish that can tend to be fine, fine, fine, and then suddenly one day it isn't. So, always keep an eye on fish, and always be willing to move things around if you need to. Those are some of the keys. :)
Keep us updated on your progress!

Thanks so much! I will be sure to be on the lookout for any issues.
I once had four clown fish in my 6 foot 125g and after at least 6 months of sleeping together and being A OK the one pair decided out of the blue that it wanted to kill the other pair.
Quick thinking on my part saved the one pair and i was able to move them to another tank thankfully.
I happen to have several tanks empty right now so that wont be an issue if the bettas decide they dont like each other. lol

Thanks again everyone. I am hoping to get the tank up and running shortly and perhaps purchase the bettas at the end of the month. I will post photos of the setup before I add the fish and you guys can tell me if there is enough cover for them.

Sounds like a fabulous plan! I am a big fan of female bettas. Lots of personality. If you anymore questions, always feel free to ask. Otherwise, happy setup!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've tried bettas in 1, 3, and 10 gallons. The same betta in fact has lived in all 3 and he's most active in the 3 with a lot of plants or decor. In the 10 he just hid.

In the 3 I do a 50% water change every few days, and he's got some pennywort floating to hide in.

And yeah if I did it over I would go with a 5, but very very densely planted as he is most active when there is a lot of cover.

They can also be sensitive to current. The Tetra whisper filters are very gentle and there are other ways to baffle the output from a filter.

I've had one do well with Otos, in a larger tank. Ghost shrimp help clean and are hard enough to see, in a planted tank, that they don't get eaten IME.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I can feel where you are coming from I HATE seeing the bettas at Walmart and I even picked my guy up from petco, however, the more you buy from Walmart the more they'll order. You'll change the life of the few you buy, true, but for the breed as a whole, it's just going to continue the problem.

Again. I'm with you on this. Like I said I bought mine from petco and told myself that at least I will improve his life. He is my favorite out of all the fish in all six of my tanks tanks.

As for tank mates, mine lives with seven neons and two snails in a 10g HEAVILY planted community tank. He did kill one the first day we introduced them, and ate a bit of an others tail fin. Since then (3 months later) I haven't seen any aggression and the neons don't even school around him any more. They all eat peacefully and hang out. I think the problem was how I introduced them. He was there first and I put my three rescue neons in before I bought four more.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks Emily. :) I know I cant stop the continued abuse of these walmart bettas but I want to make a difference in as many of their lives as I can. At least thats my motivation. lol

Couple more weeks til I get paid and can start this new adventure.

Nothing wrong has been said, but I do need to quick jump in and just remind people that it is against the forum rules to bash stores by name. This site is not for venting your frustrations against any given specific vendor. If you just leave out the names, and discuss facts about what you do or not like or look for in a the way a betta is kept prior to your purchase, that is fine. Just remember that any specific grievance with a specific store needs to be taken up with the store.
I have to interject that every once in awhile in case people forget. Nothing wrong said yet, so let's keep up that standard. I know that is a hot issue for many people, including myself. :)

Thanks Emily. :) I know I cant stop the continued abuse of these walmart bettas but I want to make a difference in as many of their lives as I can. At least thats my motivation. lol

Couple more weeks til I get paid and can start this new adventure.

So instead smallcart? Or spetfart?? What about letgo?? Of the idea of your new fish surviving? ? I'll probably get in trouble for this;) this thread is awesome! I've recently aquired a tiny baby betta and I've been to embarrassed to ask for pointers as I've managed to keep much more delicate fish alive.. Lil guy keeps eating food that's not there? So fat yet no food.. can't wait to see this vision come to fruition carey!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So instead smallcart? Or spetfart?? What about letgo?? Of the idea of your new fish surviving? ? I'll probably get in trouble for this;) this thread is awesome! I've recently aquired a tiny baby betta and I've been to embarrassed to ask for pointers as I've managed to keep much more delicate fish alive.. Lil guy keeps eating food that's not there? So fat yet no food.. can't wait to see this vision come to fruition carey!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

:-/ the first week I made a post about if he has dropsy. He just gets fat and poops then is skinny. Brook have you tried mosquito larva? It's so fun to watch mine hunt. Those little neons become true predators too!

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom