I need Discus Expertise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr_girlfriend

Aquarium Advice FINatic
There is a local breeder in my area selling quarter size discus for $10 a piece. He says they are worth more, but needs the room. He sent me these 3 pics, but since I'm not up on what to really look for for quality, could someone (BrianNY :D ) give me a hand? Also, what should I ask him before I consider purchase? Thanks!!

Attachments

• ruby_sbo.jpg
    ruby_sbo.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 56
  • couple2.jpg
    couple2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 293
  • couple3.jpg
    couple3.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 57
Im not brain..LOL
I like the shape of the fish.. but it seems the eyes might be a little big on all but the white one.. hopefully Its my mistake.. Ive been looking at alot of pictures lately and I only liked maybe 10 of the pics on aquabid so take that into consideration. :p

those pictures are of adult discus, not juvies. but the shape looks good and I would especially like a few fry of the pair in the last pic.-they are red snake skin and leopard snake skin and I would pay more than $10 for fry of them. However, the fish you will get will be young and will not have much if any of the color of the parents yet. The second picture could also have good looking fry but I do not know how they would turn out.-they are called white diamond or snowflake and pigeon blood.

I would ask what they are being fed, where he got the parents(import or domestic), and what I like to do is to ask to see them eat and then I pick the roundest best looking one that eats the most.

WOW! 10 bucks a piece. While I am not Brian, or Jack Wattley or a Discus expert, they seem like fish of quality to me. Considering most White Diamonds go for 60-100 bucks, 10 dollars for that fish is an exceptional price. The others also look to be of nice size and coloration - I'd get things ready for them a go for it.

Correct. He's showing you pics of the parents. Discus at the size you mentioned will have almost no coloration so don't be alarmed at that. $10 is a steal. I'd gobble them up. Look for round bodies, fins held high, small eyes in relation to body size, and a healthy appetite.

You should ask everything about the water they are being raised in. Tell him what your water is like, and how he suggests acclimating.

Good Luck and I want to see pics of the juvis :D

cool!! I actually found a deal in fish keeping, wow! LOL
Thanks for all your knowledge guys!! I think I'll get the 10 get 2 free deal he offered me. He also said hes selling some adults, not sure about price though. Guess I'll be needing more tanks.....husband is going to love me :) but hey, it is an investment, right?

So if I get these little guys, would the 29 gallon you were suggesting for grow out be to small? I think I'm going to need a discus book, whats a good one?

I would get 2-29 gallon tanks for growing them out.. and 2 75's or a 150gallon for when they get bigger.. In other words you will have enough discus for 2 shoals :mrgreen:

:) who doesn't? I really like the third pic, thats my favorite. I asked my husband if he could build a stand that could hold 2-4 29 gallon tanks. Boy was he excited (not!) I'm not sure if I'll keep all of them to adulthood, but I do have a 90 planted for most of them. But of course, an excuse for more tanks is always good. :D
I'm really excited now!
Hey maybe if anyone else is interested, he said he has like 40 he needs to get rid of, maybe hed ship?

For now you will need 2 29 gallons as Magi suggested for growing out. Later on down the road though a 100+ gallon tank will be needed for when they are all adults. I have 8 juvenile discus in an 80 gallon tank and wouldnt want any more in there.

An investment.... well maybe, lol ... for me keeping discus costs way more money than it makes - actually it doesnt make any . HA HA. Also normally the resale on fish is much lower if you decide to get rid of them.

As far as Discus books

Discus Health from TFH Publications is great
Jack Wattley's Handbook of Discus (the 1989 version I think it is) is good

Pablo Teapot who created New Life Spectrum Fish Foods has a book out that is said to be good, though I dont know the title or anything more about it.

I would say go for the buy 10 get 2 free and get a few of each type you like. This way, as you said, after they have grown and you see the ones you like you can remove the others and still know that yo came away with a bargan. I areee that a 29g would be just a little too small of a body of water to be convienent as with 10-12 young discus things would go bad fast.

OH MAN, I wish I was ready for fish now! Im such a procrastinator! :(
I can never make up my mind though.. Im still waiting on my Dynamic Aquaria, Building Ecosystems book to come in at the library to start up my ATS system. I suppose good things come to those who wait. :mrgreen:

No, you tell your spouse they are an investment :)
I'm going to be getting them on the 4th it looks like. Yea!!!

Well, maybe when your tank is ready I'll have a few ready to thin from the herd, if youre interested :)
I have 2 20's for now, I'll try to find some used 29's in the mean time

Yea, discus!! :multi: :multi:

I better be careful, a few to many good things are happening to me......something bad is going to come I just know it 8O

heh. if they start breeding for you on a regular basis they could become an investment that turns over some profit. just ask jack wattley how that works, ha ha!

True, I dont really have the space unfortunatley. Maybe in a few years when houses are like 750000 dollars......I'll find a suitcase of money and can get one.

I could do a little breeding, try it out I guess. But probably not enough to make it profitable. Do it just for fun :D

Back
Top Bottom