I need everyones opion on new filter!! Please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordo124

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been wondering if i should get a new filter for my 29 gallon tank... Its really really overstocked... Im about to add some mopani wood so its going to leave some tannins...
So anyways! I have an aqueon 20/125 gph and a aqua tech 5-15/100 gph... And i would like to get the aquatech 30-60 since its 330 gph and really cheap!... But im not sure if i should get it...
What do you guys think?

I think the aquatech 30-60 would be enough by itself for your tank. I would recommend something that is 100-160 gph, considering you already have two filters. Maybe a penguin 150 or AquaTech 20-40?

Andrew McFadden said:
If you know your overstocked why not spend that money on a bigger or another tank and separate them.

Im only 15 and i would love to get another tank but my mom would get pissed if i bought another tank! So the filter is the only thing i would be able to get...i might be able to get a ten gallon and put like 8 of my small fish in there...

bud29 said:
What is the stock of the tank?

It is
1 silver dollar
1 angel fish
1red blue colombian tetra
2 danios
3 guppies
4 platies
3 mollies
6 cories
1 BN pleco
1clown pleco
3 female convict cichlids
1 senegal bichir
1 striped raphael catfish...
Imma move the convicts and silver dollar to my 55 as soon as i sell my red devil and pacu...

Gordo124 said:
It is
1 silver dollar
1 angel fish
1red blue colombian tetra
2 danios
3 guppies
4 platies
3 mollies
6 cories
1 BN pleco
1clown pleco
3 female convict cichlids
1 senegal bichir
1 striped raphael catfish...
Imma move the convicts and silver dollar to my 55 as soon as i sell my red devil and pacu...

Wow Thts Really overstocked

I am surprised anything is alive w the convicts. I bought a couple babies when I was younger not knowing what they were n they started eating everybody:(

Wow! I say 2 canisters like the fx5 would help keep water conditions good.

Seriously though. Your way way overstocked. How is your water just out of curiosity?

Guggiboy123 said:
Wow Thts Really overstocked

I know , i feel terrible ! So do u think that the filter should help for better water quality?

Convict2161 said:
Wow! I say 2 canisters like the fx5 would help keep water conditions good.

Seriously though. Your way way overstocked. How is your water just out of curiosity?

The water is doing good... Its just a small tannin because of a piece of drift wood...

Gordo124 said:
I know , i feel terrible ! So do u think that the filter should help for better water quality?

Yes it will help. I'd run 2 filters if you can. Better yet try and re home some of them until you can get a bigger tank. Weekly water changes and more filtration will help with your water quality.

Wiggles24 said:
I am surprised anything is alive w the convicts. I bought a couple babies when I was younger not knowing what they were n they started eating everybody:(

Naw my convicts are not aggressive towards anyone else ...

Convict2161 said:
Yes it will help. I'd run 2 filters if you can. Better yet try and re home some of them until you can get a bigger tank. Weekly water changes and more filtration will help with your water quality.

My friend has a 20 or 29 gallon tank that had a koi but died because of a shock during a water change.. I wanted to give him some of my fish but apparently his mom bought 8 goldfish!

IMO, it doesn't matter what size filter u have or how many. An overstocked tank like that requires a larger tank, period. As those fish grow out of the tank, they'll probably die due to lack of space. Not to be rude, but its almost cruel what u have going on! Sorry, had to keep it real.

mohican said:
IMO, it doesn't matter what size filter u have or how many. An overstocked tank like that requires a larger tank, period. As those fish grow out of the tank, they'll probably die due to lack of space. Not to be rude, but its almost cruel what u have going on! Sorry, had to keep it real.

Yes very true... But i said that i have a 55 gallon tank where the convicts will be rehomed to... They are just not large enough yet... They are not staying there for a long time...

Gordo124 said:
Yes very true... But i said that i have a 55 gallon tank where the convicts will be rehomed to... They are just not large enough yet... They are not staying there for a long time...

The 55 was never mentioned until now. Probably why u got the reaction from us here at AA.

mohican said:
The 55 was never mentioned until now. Probably why u got the reaction from us here at AA.

Yes i did mention it.. It is where i listed my stock... But its ok if u didnt notice it..

A sponge filter would be a good option to increase bio filtration. They are very inexpensive too. One sponge filter and a cheap air pump for it will run about $20.

Back
Top Bottom