I need help to stock a 5 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gdcmv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
On Christmas my daughter received a 14/10/9 inches aquarium. The filtration is done by a Penn plax internal filter IPX8. As now the tank is cycled and ready to receive fish. We have the API test kit. Can you please let us know as many options as possible of stoking this small tank? Please keep in mind that this it will be my daughter aquarium. If you have any questions please ask. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your best bet is a betta with either ghost shrimp or African dwarf frogs.

Betta are always a great option for the youngens. A snail, and a couple shrimp are nice addition to create a little "eco system".

I would agree about starting with a betta.

There are quite a few nano fish that will do well in a 5g but usually require alot of attention.

Scarlet Badis
Licorice gourami
Sparkling gourami
Dwarf puffer
And more....

What food you give to the snail and the shrimps? Any snail and shrimp will do? What's best of them? If is possible as colourful as possible.

You could try red cherry shrimp but in most cases I'd say they end up being food for the betta. Ghost shrimp are clear but grow a bit bigger and could potentially survive, but most of that will depend on the betta itself. For snails I'd recommend 1-2 horned nerites. Shrimp and snails will eat biofilm, algae, and any decaying plant/food matter left in the tank. If necessary you can supplement with algae wafers, shrimp food, fish food, and some veggies.

Quick update: this morning my daughter found a small black snail in her tank. I don't know from were it come. Any ideas from were is coming an what it is? I think it is a good sign, isn't it?

If you have live plants, it came off one of them.

I'm thinking to buy 3 guppies (one male) and keep the snail which is a pond snail.

Maybe, mine never seem to explode in population....but I think I am more of the exception. I feel like my fish eat the little ones? My goldfish certainly did.

Now almost one year late the 5 one becomes a 17 gallon aqua one aquamode 600 with two nerite snails 10 RCS and 3 guppies

On Christmas my daughter received a 14/10/9 inches aquarium. The filtration is done by a Penn plax internal filter IPX8. As now the tank is cycled and ready to receive fish. We have the API test kit. Can you please let us know as many options as possible of stoking this small tank? Please keep in mind that this it will be my daughter aquarium. If you have any questions please ask. Thank you in advance.

You dont have a ton of room to work with. I have a betta in my 5 gallon and he is thrilled. I even planted it a bit so he has lots to explore. I tried snails with him, but he bothered them. I hear people add shrimp and dwarf frogs, but I wouldnt with a betta. You could do that route (betta) or maybe a few small fancy guppies. Like 2-3 max and then some shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom