I need help with snail eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boogety48

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a dilemma I need some help with. I found these eggs just now on the top to my filter. Are they ok being there or do they need to go in the water? Also I'm treating my tank for possible ich, using heat, no light and water changes. I've had two fish die and a couple more that look rough. What do I need to do with them? I don't want them to die. The sack looks a little dried out. It wasn't there last night, so this happened sometime in the night.

Attachments

• snaileggs.jpg
    snaileggs.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 121
Do you know what ype of snails are they. I have never seen that big of a sack before. usually they keep there sacks in the water. I am assuming they are all died anyways just from what it looks like.

I assuming they're apple snails. I bought them as mystery snails so I'm not sure. They lay eggs out of water but close enough that they get wet. I'm making sure they stay moist but not under water. From what I read it takes a few days to tell if they're fertilized or not, so until I figure it out I'm going to act like they are...

They are apple/mystery snail eggs. If you don't want baby snails scrape them off and freeze them. If you do want baby snails leave them be and see how they go. If they are dried out I wouldn't expect them to live.

I'm just playing it by ear I guess. If they make it then they make it. If not then I guess it wasn't suppose to be. We'll see in a couple weeks I guess.

Wow I have never seen apple snail eggs very interesting! Good luck hope they will develop!

Is there a way I can make something that will keep the eggs wet so I'm not spraying them every two hours? I know they can't be underwater so I need it to just keep them moist. Its stuck to the lid of my filter so they can be moved easily.

I have heard of people scraping them off and placing on a wet sponge in a container floating in the tank. But I would think that would damage some eggs while scrapping them off.

Yea that seems like it would break some. Some got broken on the front already which I don't know how because they were broken when I found the clutches. would my filter be ok if I left the top off of it while I see if the eggs hatch? It just sits on top anyway it doesn't cover it or attach to the rest of it.I was thinking maybe I could put a sponge in my tank and just set the lid on the sponge.

I know! I got up this morning to check on them and spray them and there's another clutch coming off the one on the left (if you're looking right at it). I hope I'm able to sell all these.

Is there a way to get more calcium to my snails? They are starting to show sign of shell deterioration. Their shells have little colorless spots on them and look like little holes are forming.

What is cuttlebone? All I can find is what you place on the side of bird cages for them to pick at. I'm thinking about just turning that tank into a snail tank and changing the gravel to puka shell. Would that work?

Boogety48 said:
What is cuttlebone? All I can find is what you place on the side of bird cages for them to pick at. I'm thinking about just turning that tank into a snail tank and changing the gravel to puka shell. Would that work?

Yes, one and the same. I bought mine from the bird section in the supermarket.

Back
Top Bottom