I need Ideas.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barefootKATE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I'm starting a 30 gal FW tank. I like bottom feeders, and have been looking at loaches. I also would like some fish that add color and swim around the tank...to keep the tank looking ALIVE! Any suggestions? I am open to ALL suggestions and advice. Thanks guys!

catfish?
ur request is rather broad...
small/big fish?
will u be ugrading?
high/low mainenance?
have u time to clean up after them?
aggresive/friendly?
umm....do u want to train them?
schooling/loners?
etc
some parameters of preferance would be sweet !!

Oh, thoes are a lot of things I hadn't quite thought about yet. THANK YOU! This is exactly why I'm here at AA.

What do you mean by upgrading?
I'd prefer medium to low maintenence, I'm in college.
I will do normal maintenence, but I'd prefer not to have to "scoop the litterbox".
Friendly please, agressive fish take too much caution.
No time for training.
Schooling or loners. I'd like a combination.

What other paramaters should I set?

do u want to keep fish that get big and lazy, like oscars etc,
so obviously eventually u'll need a bigger tank
bottom feeders: i'm partial to my catfish and crays hehe
by training i mean do u want to feed them by hand or just throw food in?
things like that...
but like i said, i'm totally biest of my collection...
go through the photo gallery would probly be the best bet...
just one more thing i'd ask myself in that situation...
will it be a hobby, or is it more of a centerpiece sort of tank...

Ah, I'd rather just throw the food in. Keeping a regular schedule for feeding can be hard with varying school schedule. I plan on making it center piece and hobby. I really want it to look attractive...but I also plan on working on it. I was kind of thinking of it as an aquatic garden. I'd like to use it as a relaxing activity, and build its maintainence up as a habbit. I'm used to gardening and taking care of cats. I have no place for that in my appartment.....so I am going to take up fish.

fish are like cats/dogs..
u'll know when they are hungry..
come on peoples. sum more input would be nice !!!
im by far, NOT, the best person to speak to about these sort of things

Catfish tend to get big. Zebra pleco's are attractive and small (3" max in captivity) but they command a high price and are hard to find.

I'd stick with cories. They're good cleaners, have nice personalities, and do best in groups. Sterbai cory and panda cory are both attractive fish and much easier to find.

I'm trying to keep my tank with smaller fish, I'd rather nothing get above two or three inches at the most. I'd like to have more fish with a little variety as oposed to a few large fish. I've heard the rule of thumb is an inch of fish per gallon of water. Is that correct? :?:

somewhat, however...
someone said to me once.....
42 inches of 1 fish in a 120 gallon tank is horribly overstocked
42 inches of 40 fish would be way understocked

Well, if were to look at a fresh water lake or pond. You wouldn't find only one sort of fish, nor would you find only one of every kind of fish who made that his home.

nor would u find small colourful fish that have been "fabricated" for commercial purposes....
but yea, i'd say it's a good idea, always a good conversation starter

Good point. What do you recomend for scenery? I want to go with live plants, but for rocks would you suggest artificial..or just go with drift wood?

goin home
ill post in a hour or so
but i'd say real rocks, real wood, plants are just as much work as the fish

he he he... katy's addited to AA... you will learn lots here. You already know my opinion, real plants, real driftwood, real rocks :D and i like big fish, some of mine will get up to 6", i think my Bala shark, my pleco, and when i get clown loaches. and i may have to move them out if they get too big.. or get another bigger aquarium (don't tell stephen but taht's the plan!) (loaches get big too! well, some do.

Back
Top Bottom