i need some advice on sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am planning on putting sand in my ten gallon tank this weekend, and need some advice.
I would like to know what sand to use, how much, and other things like that,
I also need to know what you guys think the best way to put it in is. I am switching from gravel to sand.
Also, how will the sand affect my filter (aquaclear 30)?
Thank you, any advice is much appreciated. :)

I would go with pfs. How much I'd really up to you, a deeper bed if your going panted. To clean the sand:
1) pour some into a bucket
2) turn waterhose on and stock out in bottom of the bucket.
3) let the water over flow while moving house around in bucket until the water is all clear.

When I did mine I took the fish out and drained the whole tank, seems much easier that way, got as much gravel as I could out, then carefully took it outside and rinsed all the small parts out. Then brought the tank back in and dumped the sand in, then filed the tank back up.

And it shouldn't affect your filter if you wash it really well.

I would go with pfs. How much I'd really up to you, a deeper bed if your going panted. To clean the sand:
1) pour some into a bucket
2) turn waterhose on and stock out in bottom of the bucket.
3) let the water over flow while moving house around in bucket until the water is all clear.

And it shouldn't affect your filter if you wash it really well.
Thanks for the reply! Wouldn't some sand end up on the ground?

I've heard great things about pool filter sand. Don't have it myself, using play sand in 3 tanks. You will need to wash it to remove all the small particles/dust. 1/3 fill a bucket with sand, fill with water, churn the sand, poor off any dirty water, repeat until the water runs clear.

When putting it in your tank, turn off filters and heater, remove all decor, you can remove fish or keep them in the tank up to you, scoop out all the gravel, replace with sand, wait for large particles to settle, turn filter and heater back on, replace fish. When I did mine I found it easy to get a cup, fill with sand, submerge cup while upright, move it to the bottom o the tank and poor it out. Less cloudiness.

Test water more frequently over the next week or two to make sure your tank isn't mini cycling and your done!

maxwellag said:
Thanks for the reply! Wouldn't some sand end up on the ground?

I added more to my first post btw.

And no, pfs is heavy enough that only the particles that will cloud the water will overflow, the sand you want, stays right in the bucket.

I don't know what kind to get from Home Depot or Menards.... I have only looked online so far, can you help please?

I might have to disagree. I'm not saying PFS is bad, I have never used it. I would recommend blasting sand. $8 for 50lbs at your local Tractor Supply. Obviously you don't need 50lbs for a 10g, but then you have leftovers! It is black, which makes your fish look 2-3x better. I would get the 20-40 grit. Thats whats going in my 55g.

I might have to disagree. I'm not saying PFS is bad, I have never used it. I would recommend blasting sand. $8 for 50lbs at your local Tractor Supply. Obviously you don't need 50lbs for a 10g, but then you have leftovers! It is black, which makes your fish look 2-3x better. I would get the 20-40 grit. Thats whats going in my 55g.
I'll see if they have it at my tractor supply co.

I was reading this post and was wondering if it is just called blasting sand or if there are certain types to avoid bc of minerals or such?

I'd put the sand in a pillowcase and use that to filter out the small particles. A member suggested it to me and it worked great

I am having a hard time choosing between blasting and pf sand.... what do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom