I need some pond build up ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lori_z3a

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to reconstruct my pond this summer but want to buy materials this winter. I have a 1200 gallon + pond but just not happy with it now - made a few mistakes - like not level / big oops

I would like to rebuild the sides on it was thinking on concrete bricks with liner going over it - using the bricks as a wall but do not know how to do it really any photos will be great- but do not really want to use cement - never used it ,do not even know how - not sure if I even want to.I get tired of trying to clean pump out - means I have to get right into the pond to get to it- hate dang shelves I made. I guess I even want to make it deeper without having to dig under the liner that is there now - which will have to be replaced this summer but I did my digging bit and that was enough - that is why I mentioned on working on the inside to build up the sides and to make it level -- p.s do not mind digging to make it wider. Will fix my waterfall the year after first things first - but want to still have it done so my fish get some use out of it before winter again. Look for album My pond and waterfall by following this link below. If not sure what I am saying and sometimes it is hard to put into words just post here and I will try to explain - again thanks for photos and ideas

http://community.webshots.com/user/ibquackers20

Coming from an indoor guy, your pond looks great. Love your back yard with all of the open space!

Lori...

Looked at your pix....and you would be a prime candidate for building "up" a
second level behind your waterfall......

however, being located in the far north (Canada), you would have to insulate
around the upper level with at least 3-4 ft of solid soil in order to protect from
your winter weather. (We discussed this feature in a previous thread..
(Above-ground vs In-ground ponds).

So, really its a decision as to which would be easier for you: digging into the
ground; or building up soil behind the existing waterfall.

Either approach could be taken.

Tominator....
You mentioned you were in Az (much easier as far as protecting from the climate!! :D ), but notice your Location sign said Va?? )
How big a pond were you looking at??

Bernie

How about using the bricks ( or big flat stones) to make steps and then connecting those stairs to a wooden bridge accross the pond ( like a chineese garden thing)? 8)

ok guy - I winter my fish inside and will continue to do so - this way I can see them in the summer as well as winter , so if the pond freezes there will not be any fish in there for the winter - just want to build up and level the pond height but I also want to keep $$$ down or hubby will freek out - he already complains that I spent to much $$$ and time.

Thanks Roger

I did not know how to explain it to him that this was about the questions I was asking and every time there was a reply in my email it was a waste of time finding out that it was a question he asked - also he would get more replies with his own thread - people will know what he is asking and not get confused - thank you

Ok, so to get you back on track... How are you planning to connect the new liner to the old liner? It should not be that hard to build up brick pavers around the pond, but I am not sure how you would create a reliable seal when connecting a new piece around the whole upper edge of the existing pond. Around here we have something called liner tape, it is rubbery and sticky on both sides, but I would not trust it on such a long complex seam as you would need to create.

Roger - since I did not use a liner last time - instead I used 5 mil plastic folded over 4 times - this held up for 2 years till it got holes in it. This summer I will be buying the right kind of liner - been saving all winter - and it will be enough to just drop down on top of old liner then have it up and over what ever I use to build up wall , then heavy flat bricks to hold and hide liner down- then behind it I will be making dirt pilled up for a wide enough flower bedwill plant flowers or just wood chips with a few flat round bricks - making it look like stepping stones on the wood chips which will be on top of the dirt then in front of the dirt holding it in place I will use bricks - this will hide it and finnish it off. Hope this works

Bernie - I do plan on making a bridge to but maybe the year after - first things first - this will help give the fish some shade so I can cut / trim the tree down some that bothers me every year - it has those helicopters things that fall off all the time and loads end up in my pond - only tree that looses it leaves to .

Think maybe you had Roger and I mixed there???. I was suggesting a build up
in back behind your current waterfall that would essentially create an additional
pond area and work into your existing waterfall as a "natural" waterfall. Only
thing was; to insulate the "raised" area with planters (like you mentioned).
Since you bring in the fish over the winter; you should be fine regardless.

Enjoy.

P.S. Yeah, use the more durable liner this time!!(LOL!)

Bernie

seem to be having troubles posting trying again

Try this once more see if it works - I think I have it figured out what I might do -

Rebuild waterfall using the rocks I have from all around the pond edge - then dig all around the outside of the pond 6 inches down - then lay sand bags up like a dike to 2 or 3 pilled high then inside of pond use carpet or underlay or something up and over sand bags ,then take new liner and bring it up and over then down sand bags.

Then back fill outside of sand bags with soil then to hold the soil in place I will finnish it off with heavy bricks fitted to a little higher height of the soil, then wait a year for the soil to settle and fill up if needed with more soil then top the soil off with wood chips and scatter a few round stepping stones which I can use to sit some of my ornaments on. Hope this will work - what do any of you guys think ?

lori....maybe I'm a bit slow on picturing you thought, but I honestly didn't follow
what you are trying to do??? Admittedly this stuff is hard to put into words!?

Maybe you can draw a diagram and post it ??

Bernie

photo I hope explaining plans

ok not to good at posting photos but here it goes if not you can follow the link below and find album saying - plans on building up wall

as fro explaining it - well sand bag / liner / brick - I will dig 6 inches down - 2 layers sandbags (dike )liner up and over the sandbags , then heavy brick on top to hold liner up. I will have underlay between the liner and sand bags

dirt / wood chips - back fill 6-8 inches up with dirt , then wait a year and after dirt settles fill up what dropped down and top it off with wood chips

2-3 layers of brick - this will hold the dirt in place with the brick a little over the dirt.

So you see there will be 3 thickness to this plan 1 - by the water (sand bags) / 1 - with dirt / 1 - with brick

hope this works here is the link if it does not - http://community.webshots.com/user/ibquackers20

http://community.webshots.com/album/110845792MLNCRd

110846636lDYJrk_ph.jpg

OK lori...

Let's see if I'm on the same page...

It looks like you want to make the pond larger with a planter area around the main
pond (water area). I take it then, that you are not trying to get a larger water
body....but just extend the pond area via the "dry" or "bog" planter area??

The trick will be to replace your liner.....I'm assuming you will drain water, then
lay in the new liner. Be sure to measure out the depths properly for both the
main pond AND the planter areas.

That (if I'm correct in describing it)...sounds fine.

I had thought you were wanting to increase size of water body.??

Bernie

OK....Good.

That actually is a better way to do it, because it can eliminate any potential problems with heavy rainfall periods where either you get runoff into your pond;
....or where your pond could fill or even get close to ground level where fish
could easily flip out or predators could get easy access.

So....Sounds fine, lori!!

Enjoy!!

Bernie

Yea, predators can be a problem at ground level. Last year I had a racoon come and nab about half of my fish while they were still really slow from the cold.

I also thinks your plan sounds like a good one.

Back
Top Bottom