I need super quick help! Please im scared!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PleaseHelp

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my 4 shrimp just came in the mail and they are SO TINY!!!!!!!!! I didn't expect it! I don't want my 3 serpae red tetras, 5 neon tetras or 4 danios (3 zebra, 1 rainbow (marble) )and 2 platies to eat them. I'm really scraed they7 will eat my shrimps! They are small shrimp! i have to other tank to let them grow in! I really don't want these shrimp to die, i paid 30 dollars with shipping and cholla wood. Please help! What do i do? Will they be eaten? I have a few plants and a few hiding spaces, but iwant these to live.:thanks:

P.S Will they grow quickly if i store them in a tupper wear bowl with the java moss? WIll they be big enough for my tank in a few days t his way? It's a 50 gal. I want no casualties.

Last edited:
What kind of shrimp?

They can be in a 5G bucket or tote /tub, but you need cycled media and a filter you can grow them out.

Most dwarf shrimp shouldn't be in a community tank with those fish imho. Possibly as adults full grown, tiny, not sure they would make it.

It is a 50G tupperware? Or 50G display tank... I am guessing...?

Uhm. yellow shrimp, orange shrimp, blue velvet, red cherry shrimp. 50 gal display tank. How long do they tank to grow?

Uhm. yellow shrimp, orange shrimp, blue velvet, red cherry shrimp. 50 gal display tank. How long do they tank to grow?

A month or so for them to hit adultish size. They really only grow to about 1/2" long.

Use a 5g bucket with an air pump and an improvised filter such as this with some of your used filter media in it.

75748-albums12252-picture60018.jpg

I have a large community tank with loads of red cherry shrimp and about 50 assorted tetras. Baby shrimp are their favourite meal so you are wise to find alternative housing until they are larger. My fish ignore anything over 1/2 inch. However, I have a LOT of plant and moss and the shrimp colony has grown well. I've even been giving them away.
In the long run cherry shrimp can be kept in a well balanced tank but I wouldn't put prized BABY shrimp in with fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks so much. I will ask my mom to take me to petsmart to buy a tank for the little guys! THANKS!

Thanks so much. I will ask my mom to take me to petsmart to buy a tank for the little guys! THANKS! Also what is the water bottle image?

Thanks so much. I will ask my mom to take me to petsmart to buy a tank for the little guys! THANKS! Also what is the water bottle image?

A makeshift air driven filter. You can't see it but there are a lot of holes cut into it to allow water to be pulled through.

You don't want to use a power filter with these because... well shrimp puree is counter productive.

"shrimp puree is counter productive" lol. So i currently got them like 4 hours ago, acclimated them for a while, watched them, went out to dinner, came back, they were doing awesome so i acclimated a bit more. I put my tank water in a rectangular 3, maybe 5 at most gallon rectangular tank that my dad found in the garage for me. They are swimming and get along great. I have no filter. How often do i feed them and how do i go about caring for them? Thanks a lot for your help :D

In an established tank the shrimp live mainly off the bio film growing on all surfaces of the tank and any food they can get there hands on. In a new tank like yours they will need feeding. The amount of food is really small. They like algae wafers but will eat almost anything. I like to give a variety of foods, flake, catfish pellets, algae wafers and shrimp pellets, however I should emphasise that they don't need a lot. Shrimp are fantastic scavengers and if food is seen lying around then you've definitely given them too much. I feed very little and often when I get new shrimp, maybe twice a day, but when in an established tank they get what they can scavenge and they are very good at that.
Shrimp also like stability so small water changes are preferable to 50% changes.
Finally, and I know you didn't ask this, but shrimp are killed pretty instantly by copper which is found in most fish medications, so beware of that.
Enjoy your shrimp!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom