I think I have Diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobajum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have this Brown/rust colored algae growing on my tank and some of my live rock. Is it daitoms? How do i get rid of it?

I went on a trip for 4 days and left the light on and when I came back, I had these rust colored algae on the front of my tank and on a few live rocks.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

i just found some of that today on one of my fake plants after being out for a couple days but all i have to do is wash it off right? *shrug*

without a pic it is hard to say for sure. if it is diatoms dont worry they will burn out on there own. They are caused by silicates in the water.

The diatoms will burn out on there own..... it is cause by several things.... check your nitrates and phosphates.... that's usually the cause.... just give them time and maybe lessen your feedings... it will burn out......

I agree with all of the above posts but keep in mind that everyone has Diatoms just like everyone has Cyano. Both of these Protists are needed for a healthy system. The problem you're experiencing is an excess of Diatoms which I believe is already covered very well.

Some snails will eat diatoms. Mexican turbos for example.

I know it looks icky - be thankful it is not cyano.

JG

Excess light will cause diatom blooms. So... don't leave your lights on for 4 days at a time, and don't leave the tank in direct or indirect sunlight.

To clean it, just brush gently or even fan it off the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom