I think it is ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think I saw spots on my upside down catfish? Don't know ho long it has been like that. I have a 40g with 5 Cory, picture cat, USD cat, guppies and ghost shrimp. Any ideas on treatment?
Cory's don't like salt, and can be intolerant of heat. But USD cat are scaleless ? What to do???

Following because same situation here. Did NOT quarantine some new fish and first spots appeared about 4 days later on all fish (tetras and danios). Plants and ghost shrimp present. Started treating 3 days ago with Kordon Ich Attack (Naphthoquinone) ~2 tsp 3x daily and raised the temp to 82. Might go a little higher but no salt...don't want to kill the plants. I read up on the Ich life cycle and it's pretty nasty thinking about the cysts in the gravel exploding and releasing hundreds/thousands of swimming, host seeking "larva". Selected Ich Attack because it is supposed to be less toxic than other chemical treatments.

I should point out I have treated cories with just heat without any effects. All you need to do is,
Slowly increase temp to 86-88F,
Increase aeration,
Increase gravel vacs,
Leave temp up for at least one week after last spot is seen,
Turn temp down slowly.
Make sure the temp is 86 or a bit more. Any less and it won't stop the ich. The cleaner you can keep the water the better. It will help fight off any infection in the wounds left from the ich.

Back
Top Bottom