I think MY anemone Is dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firefly386

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought the anemone 4 days ago was doing good but woke up this morning and i looks like it is inside out. it tentical are deflated and not sure why.. it still red under side but looks like it spit it uts out what should i do is it to far gone or is this norm?

Hi, Welcome to AA!! :D :D :D
What type of anemone is it? What type of lighting do you have? Size of tank? Other livestock? Can you post a pic?

A bulb anemone and an LTA are not the same thing. Your Yahoo link doesn't work and there is also no anemone pic in your Yahoo photo's either.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/firefly386/my_photos

You list nit= 0

Was that nitrIte or nitrAte?

Also, how did you acclimate the anemone, how old is your tank and what else is in the tank other than what's listed?

Cheers
Steev

tanks is about a year old

water per.

ph8.3
amm 0
nitrate 0
nitire 0
chlorine 0
cal 410

in the tank is a
1 green mandarin
3 clowns
1 6 line rassle
1 royal gramme
1 arrow crab
100 snails
90 pounds of live rock
6 scalet crabs
2 fans
1 blue damsel
1 gold damsel

i acclimated it with the drip method for an hour

The acclimation time is not that long but IME, anemones are not as sensitive to it as other sessile inverts. Could be something amiss there non the less.

Nothing you've posted so far lends to a problem with the exception of lighting. This part:
firefly386 said:
it still red under side
Suggests you have an LTA or other type of anemone but not a BTA. They are for the most part quite sensitive to light quality.

What kind of light/how many bulbs do you have to get 350 watts?

Cheers
Steve

no i didnt think so either but i will let it go for a little bit longer but not over night... im sorry i ment 380 watts 4 96 watt bulbs...

it was dong get till i got up and i cant find any thing wrong with water..maybe it didnt do so well from the shipping...

it was a LTA....

the BA is hiding in the back under the live rock by the bottom near the sand it to was shipped the same time sorry for got to put that in the other message...im new to animes. i am not sure why the other is hiding but it looks ok so far

Could be just about anything. Most anemones do not fair well through collection/shipping with most of the damage being done before you get them.

firefly386 said:
the BA is hiding in the back under the live rock by the bottom near the sand it to was shipped the same time sorry for got to put that in the other message...im new to animes. i am not sure why the other is hiding but it looks ok so far
The BTA is most likely adjusting to the light instensity. Give it time and allow it to find it own place. Don't do anything to interfere unless it's in danger of a powerhead or similar.

The light you have is sufficient for both these species.

Cheers
Steve

Ive always thought it was normal for the anenome to curl up and deflate, If you really think harm has been done pick it out (If its stuck, theres chance its still good) And then smell it, if it smells kinda like old seafood, then its done with. If it has no smell, it will usually come back withn a day or so. My rose anenome and rittier anenome both do it, and come back lookign healthy the next day

I agree with Steve, you should probably just take it out. While anemones do often times deflate and look bad when they are expelling waste, this one looks beyond hope. IMO, it is not worth jeopardizing the rest of the tank. Dying and dead anemones can release toxins into the water and really cause problems. I would remove it, start running some fresh GAC and be ready to do a water change if needed.

Back
Top Bottom