i think my bamboo shrimp is dying :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
So 3 weeks ago i bought a bamboo shrimp. after 3 days in the tank he started coming out and actually filtering. he did that for about a week then now he is hiding and havent done anything. idk whats wrong with him :(
can anyone tell me?

There's a chance it's molting .... Both My bamboo .. at one time or other ... went hiding only to show up days later after they molted and their new shells hardened.

I agree with jcolon, it could be molting. After shrimp molt, their exoskeleton is soft and they feel vulnerable. They hide until it hardens.

I would try a little spot feeding near him just to be sure. Are you water params good? Need good water or the toxins can damage their filters fans

he has been coming out on and off. and his color is changing a bit. he use to just be brown but now he is a bit darker brown and shiny. he comes out when the lights are off most of the time but other than that i see him just sitting in one spot.
i was afraid he would die of hunger.

@autumn- as far as my water parameter its good. and also current is good.
so i guess he could be molting. ill try to look for his molten skin (i guess thats what its called? haha) also if he is molting is it a must to take out the skin or its ok to leave it in the tank for my RCS shrimps?

The exo-skeleton can be left in for the inhabitants or removed. I usually leave it in unless it gets stuck around the intake tube which almost never happens.

Sometimes they find a cozy spot and just stay there. It means they are happy getting what they need or else they'd start wandering around again. But especially true after molting, kinda hiding.

One of mines favorite spots is on the back side of the HOB filter at the very top where it is difficult to see him!

My tank is kinda like a jungle and I don't always see the shed exo-skeleton, but when I do, I go into a panic looking for it to see if it died. lol So far so good!

oh they die from shedding? =o
and I'm thinking about reshaping my tank. the plants that i have are making it look very messy. i also plan on reattaching a new moss to my DW since it had fallen off when i was cleaning it haha.

mine will be getting one soon haha.
and oh okay well mine should be okay. there aren't any threats in my tank =p

Back
Top Bottom