I think my goldfish has swim bladder how can I truly tell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldfishMadein

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello
I have been seeking help for weeks now. My goldfish Neo who is a Jumbo Oranda has some swimming issues. I have had him for 2 months now and just this month he has started to do this really scary thing but ONLY AT NIGHT for some reason he floats around upside down most of the night. He dose gulp air sometimes during the day but its not a massive thing like you would see if the water quality was very poor. I have asked and asked people to help and no one has an answer. I am fasting him for 3 days and hoping it will help I just want to take precautions just in case it doesn't work. So on that note dose anyone know why he is floating upside down at night?

It sounds like there is something wrong with his swim bladder. Try feeding him peas, it seemed to work with my gold barb.

Peas act as a laxative and will help a swim bladder issue caused by constipation. What have you been feeding them?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Peas act as a laxative and will help a swim bladder issue caused by constipation. What have you been feeding them?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1

What specifically are you feeding him (brand, type foods, snacks, etc)? How are your parameters and water change schedule (%/wk)? Tank size?

It does sound food related, however, buoyancy issues in fancies can be the direct result of water conditions. Providing more information on his home and diet will be very helpful in diagnosing his issues. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay so I was fasting him but what I normally feed him is the repashy gel food solient green and super green mixed together along with southern delight pellets (only rarely). I hate to say that I don't know the water parameters at this moment because it has came a huge snow storm and I haven't got my water test kit. Right now Neo is in quarantine in a 20 gallon long aquarium with a 40 gallon canister filtration system.

How long have you had him? Repashy is great food for fancies but, some fancies do not do well on it. Does he get veggies?

I would start with water changes every other day to daily until you have an idea of what your parameters are. Put him of a veggie fast for a few days along with lots of water changes and lets see if there is any improvement. Feed him cooked, deshelled peas that have been smooshed along with spinach/other dark green and purple greens. He can have a few small meals of fresh or defrosted brine shrimp, too, which have a laxative effect. You should see big, firm strands of green waste with this diet.

If he improves, then I would start adding very small meals of Reoashy back into his diet along with daily veggies. Feeding smaller but more frequent meals (4-6x day) instead of 1 or 2 big meals will be much easier on his digestive tract and more closely mimic a goldfish's natural feeding habits. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have had him for 2 months now. I don't have the option of water changes everyday at the moment with school in the way and feeding him 4 to 6 times a day is impossible with school. I will try my very best thought to do this. I just hope it works.

Back
Top Bottom