I thought I could wait, but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ariamus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
...I had to move the Cories out of my 30 gal tank.

Three months ago, when I got my new 75 gal, the intent was to make it my Barbs community tank and keep my assorted cats (8 Cories and 2 Plecos) in my 30 gal until I could set up a larger South American community tank (Cats and tetras mostly). Then I ran into an offer that I couldn't refuse: juvenile African Chiclids for a buck apiece. I figured, Africans were on my to-do list and since these fish were so small, I could put them in with the cats and all would be well until the Chiclids grew in size and aggressiveness. That should buy me enough time to get a 65 gal for the Master Bedroom in which to put the South Americans.

Well, three weeks after getting the Chiclids, I've begun to notice that the little buggers are very nippy and they're wreaking havoc on the fins of the Cories...so I had to move the Cories into my 75 gal on a temporary basis. I just hope that I won't have to do the same with the Plecos but they're at least three times the size of the Africans so I'm optimistic I can keep them together until I get the tank set up for the South Americans...

That is probably going to be your best bet for the corys. I think the plecos will be fine.

Depending on what cichlids you have, you might find the need for the larger tank sooner than expected. They start their turf wars remarkably early.

Ive only found problems with african cichlids and pleco's when the aficans get very big..
I had a very large african cichlid that killed a large pleco but she killed right about everything.. Not to mention she was alot bigger than the pleco..

Those Africans are Mbuna cichlids from Lake Malawi. Mbuna are fun fish to keep. But should be kept primarily by themselves. I have had quite a few Mbuna in the past. In fact they are probably why I still keep fish.

I started with 6 Mbuna in a 25 gallon tank. The personalities that these fish have are so much fun to watch and interact with. If I sat next to the tank, they would swim over to me. If I walked to the other side, they followed me. If I traced my finger on the tank, they would follow my finger.

I expect that you are already learning what I had learned the hard way. Mbuna need a lot of space. I'd be looking for at least another 75 gallon just for them.

Your Saluzzis (sp?), are they Pseudotropheus Saulosi?

ahh why yes they are.. missed it in the sig.
They shouldnt ever get big enough to do any damage to a pleco of moderate size.

my teacher had convicts and he tried plecos (about 3) killed all of them. bur also they were a breeding pair

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom