I was just given a 45 gallon tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stefernini

Aquarium Advice Freak
A friend dropped off a 45 gallon tank yesterday and told me I could have it. It has an Aquatech 30-60 HOB filter, and a good light. It's odd shaped 36X18X17 and I think it may have been meant for a terrarium but she has had fish in it for years. She lost her last fish and decided she was done and that's why she brought it to me.

Anyway, I was thinking about maybe doing a cichlid tank with this one. I also have a 50 gallon fresh water planted community tank and a 10 gallon betta tank. I've never done a cichlid tank and have no clue even where to start.

I have hard water with a Ph of 8 out of the tap and would like to not have to mess with that much. Also, I have a nice big piece of driftwood I'd like to put in it, but I'm not sure if driftwood is any good for cichlids. I know not much beyond java fern is worth putting in with them plant wise. I'm thinking sand or crushed coral, and lace rock maybe.

Any and all suggestions and advice is welcome as far as what kinds, types, sizes and decorations to go with.

Thanks all!

75g Malawi Reef,built using lace rock with sand bottom..make sure to double up on filtration&the driftwood will be fine with them..

ForumRunner_20120716_171633.jpg

This has been happening a lot on this forum lately. "cichlids" describes THOUSANDS of different uniques species from 4 continents (Africa, north America, south america, and Asia, which 3 species are native to). To say you want a cichlid doesn't mean much, as there's so many to chose from. Do you want Africans? If so, which lake and which particular group? If you want New Worlds, do you want north American or south American? Do you want a single species tank or a community centered around a species of cichlid?

Whoa. Kinda harsh huh? The op stated he/she didn't know much about cichlids.
The best bet is to look around the Internet at cichlids tanks and pick and choose some you like and come back here for compatability (sp) issues.

I legitimately did not mean to come off as harsh, just being honest. It's very hard to say "do this" or "do that" when we don't know the specifics of what one wants. Some people are very passionate towards either NW or OW and lately, many people seem to completely forget that new worlds even exist. I've been reading a lot of post saying "cichlids prefer a higher pH and hard water" and "always put crushed coral in with cichlids". People seem to forget there are cichlids on the other side of the pond. I didn't intend to sound harsh and I apologize for it coming off that way :)

Point taken friend. It's impossible to read the tone of someone's voice. You sound knowledgeable with cichlid and the op could use that knowledge right now. :)

I know a bit, but no where near other members, like 5x5, HUKIT, Severum Mama, HN1, or Garfy. Those are probably the best people to ask about cichlid questions. If you are interested in New Worlds, there is a group I am a member of, that HUKIT started, and could be a wealth of information!

Sorry, that was a rather general question, but I really know nothing about cichlids.

Okay with only having a 45 gallon, and after doing some more looking, I think to be able to have a good number of fish I need to stay on the smaller side. Under 5-6" probably. So, maybe I should go with dwarf cichlids? or shell dwellers?

Since I want to avoid messing with my water too much, I think I should stay with Africans? I read most cichlids from the Americas prefer soft, acidic water.

So what do you recommend as far as dwarf African cichlids go? What kind of set up should I have?

I hope that's more specific.

Thanks all.

You're going to be limited with only 3' of space. I would recommend a species only tank with only 1 male. That or some very calm species. Maybe do yellow labs.

The driftwood will be fine but unless you have other decor to help buffer the ph you will notice the driftwood will be turning your water acidic. I never recommend cichlid sand only because of the price. What I love (and use myself) is pool filter sand (~$8 for 50lbs) and a small bag of crushed coral. The coral will buffer your water and you won't need to worry.

Start looking into smaller mbuna cichlids, shell dwellers, or dwarf cichlids. These will pretty much be your only options in that tank size (most need 4' of swimming space)

I love to see you mention shell dwellers as I absolutely LOVE these guys! So much personality and so feisty for such a small fish! But you'd have to be ok with ONLY having shellies and no other fish. However, you could do a large colony of multifasciatus, probably 20-25 strong :) but the won't usually leave the bottom 5 inches, so the top will be wasted space, but they are a blast!

I think I may scrap this plan and give this tank to anot her friend. She really wants a tank, but can't afford one.

Back
Top Bottom