Ich & Ammonia problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaggieMae

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon long freshwater tank. I've searched the web for answers to problems of ammonia being too high, and my fish have had Ich for a week. I have treated the water twice (doing a 1/4 water change between) with Tetra Fungus Guard tablets. I can see spots on three fish, all Tetras. I also have 2 small catfish, 2 Green Barbs, 2 Tiger Barbs, and a 3" Angel Fish, all seem healthy. I've raised the temperature to 88 today (suggestion I found on a site for Ich). I've cut way back on their feeding, I clean the tank weekly with 1/4 water change, but lately I have been doing a 1/4 water change every other day to try to eliminate the ammonia problem. I use the strips for testing water, and have read they are not accurate so I will be going out this evening to purchase an "API" kit someone recommended. I have 2 filters running (without charcoal right now with the Ich treatment). They are both internal power filters, a Whisper 10 and a Whisper 20. Since I don't get aeration from these, I have 2 bubble bars run by a Whisper pump (40 gal size). I leave the light on a timer for 9 hrs per day. I know in the not too distant past I have "over cleaned" the tank. I did not know about the tank water having to be "cycled" for good bacteria, so the fish went directly into the new set-up. I have been told to use "Neutral Regulator" which I have done for two water changes, 2 weeks apart. I have learned recently not to clean the filters so thoroughly, so I realize I've been doing away with all the "good stuff" in the past. I've been feeding them Tetra Tropical Crisps. I have lost about 5 fish (not from Ich.. probably high ammonia(?)... My Pleco (spotted small kind) died due to the Ich treatment instructions NOT saying it was dangerous / lethal to them! Oh, I also have been using API Ammo Lock recently, every other day, & before that I was using AmQuel Plus which is supposed to detox ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, & Chlorine. BTW, I have well water, so no problem with any chlorine, however, there may be something in the water or lacking in it(?).... I read that "electrolytes" should be added ("Start Right" by Jungle was a suggestion on a website) if the fish wiggle or shimmy in one spot, which remembering back some did this before they died - again, I thought from the ammonia problem I can't seem to regulate. Can anyone recommend any solutions other than starting completely over?

I'm not a pro by a long shot but it sounds like they are getting ich due to ammonia stress. Turn the heat up to 86 slowly, a few degrees at a time And keep it there for two weeks after you see the spots disappear. And keep doing your water changes. I would suggest 50 to 75% water changes every day or two till your cycle is complete. You could also research aquarium salt, I have heard both sides chime in. Some say it works like a charm and others say its not needed. But defiantly get a test kit because the strips are very inaccurate. The key to healthy fish is clean water so until your cycle is complete water change, water change and water change. Good luck to you and I hope all your little guys make it.

I sort of figured this about the water changes. Do you think the Ich medicine is not going to work or should I give it a couple more days before starting water changes? I have turned the heat up slowly & it is now at 86. I gather you are saying the heat & water changes are better than the Ich medicine. True? I will look into salt - I know I read someplace where Plecos can't tolerate it. I have small a Koi pond & of course use salt in it & never had any issues. I'm new at this - so very different with an aquarium as opposed to the pond! Thank you so much!

I sort of figured this about the water changes. Do you think the Ich medicine is not going to work or should I give it a couple more days before starting water changes? I have turned the heat up slowly & it is now at 86. I gather you are saying the heat & water changes are better than the Ich medicine. True? I will look into salt - I know I read someplace where Plecos can't tolerate it. I have small a Koi pond & of course use salt in it & never had any issues. I'm new at this - so very different with an aquarium as opposed to the pond! Thank you so much!

I'm still kinda new myself but from what I have read a lot of the pros on this site just say crank up the heat till the white spots fall off and keep it high while doing big water changes and gravel vacuum's for a week to get all the spores out of the tank. But your kinda getting a double whammy with your tank not being cycled( you should try to ask your local fish shop to sell or give you some old filter media to speed up your cycle)
On my first tank(a ten gal) I got ich and used meds to try and treat it but it was either to late or I misused the meds but I ended up loosing the whole tank. I read like crazy and a lot of people have different ways of dealing with ich but the one thing they all have in common is high heat and big water changes. Yes I have heard Plecos don't Handle salt well either. (My bad) if it was my tank and I was in the same situation I would do the heat and massive water changes and avoid the meds, in my opinion I think the stress of the meds,heat,and ammonia are too much. Again that's just my experience and opinion. I would cut the stress factors down. We know heat speeds up the life cycle of ich and water changes should clean it out of the tank and reduce the ammonia stress. Once the water is good and clean their immune systems should pick back up and they will be able to fight in on thier own. But sorry if I keep repeating myself but clean water and heat are the key. :) I hope I helped you a little oh! And make sure you keep your air stones running the whole time, the heat reduces the oxygen like crazy.

And yes to your direct question, start the big water changes now. The ammonia will build up and kill them before the ich will :)

thanks....

I did a 50% water change & siphoned the gravel last nite & the ammonia level went down about 2 points. Tonight I did a 1/4 water change, the ammonia is at it's highest (I bought the API tester kit). I put the recommended amount of Amquel Ammonia stuff in last nite, and also again tonight. The fish all seem to be doing good (still a bit of Ich on the 2 Tetras) except one of the 2 Green Barbs - he is sort of shimmying & head tilted down, but no Ich. Could this be stress? He does eat tho. I'll keep up the water changes & try the suggestion of begging or borrowing some old fllter media from my local fish store, that's a great idea. I am keeping the air stones going with the high heat as suggested. I have not put the charcoal back into the filters. Should I just leave it out? Or put some in the smaller filter & leave it out of the larger one? I'm gonna give this my best shot & hope everything works - in time, I guess time is the factor! The water sure is crystal clear, so at least the tank looks good! Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it all!

Back
Top Bottom