Ich Attack!!!!!! (Cichlid and goldie tank.)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommachef

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay my 110 gallon has become infested with ich. I've been working the graveyard shift the past 2 nights and haven't spent the time in my tanks as I usually do, and now I'm paying for it. I've read so much about treating with salt and heat, medicating, WC's, etc but I'm still not sure what is the best approach for my level of experience treating it and for my particular tank. This is my first exposure to it. I did a 20 gallon water change this evening and started turning the heat up, as well as adding some dissolved aquarium salt (I didn't measure it to a full dose because I'm not sure how much I need to add, but it was roughly 8 tablespoons and I figured that was better than nothing). I usually add a little bit of salt during water changes just because. I am very hesitant to use meds because I have clown loaches and a catfish that I am worried about hurting, and because I'm broke for a few more days. But I think that my baby loach (he's about 2 inches long, barely) who has it the worst is in the worst shape of everyone and I want to get him treated quickly before I lose him, because IF he is on day 3 of this he's probably close to death. =*( A separate tank for him is not an option ATM (I have a 2.5 gallon that I could put him in but I have no filter or bubbler or anything for). Also, now that I have noticed it I am seeing that my other fish (including my beloved frontosa) are swimming weird and bouncing off of the substrate like they're itchy.
Should I attempt the medicine route or should I keep up with the salt and wc's, and how much salt? How long does it take to work with the salt before it starts to give the fish some relief (I know baby loach is suffering and I can't stand seeing it, it's like when my kids are sick)? I'm also going to take some water out to help with the heating and oxygen levels in the morning. I think I am going to treat my goldfish for it as well while I'm at it, because I go from the cichlids tank to the goldies when I do waters and I'm sure they have been contaminated and an attack is in the near future for them now too. I might treat them with the meds because it is A) a smaller tank and B) I don't have anything but the Goldies in there. (Maybe, I'm not sure yet.) however with them I am worried about the high temperature(kind of why I thought medicating them may be better), I also add salt to their tank when I change waters. I am in a panic over this, I keep getting up and going to check on everyone.

with goldies I would use meds also. They don't do well in warmer temps, especially not the 80's. I cannot give you a specific medication to buy from experience, but make sure whatever one you get, you read the label before purchase. Some stain your tank, and some aren't good for certain fish. Most say daily cleanings are included.

Sometimes, people say not to treat a tank unless it is going through a problem. This is because you do not want to stress the fish, when it was fine in the beginning. Stress is what causes fish to be susceptible to diseases.

With salt and heat, I used 2 tablespoons of salt per 5 gallons. BUT loaches aren't as tolerable to salt as others, so id add a little less. Dissolve BEFORE adding into the tank. With heat, heat speeds ich lifecycle, the part you can see and the part you cannot see. Slowly turn up the heat to 86-89. 86 is great, but at 88 they stop breeding and basically will die in a matter of days.

Even though I say "a matter of days", you should still keep your heat up (atleast to 86) for up to 1-2 weeks after you've seen the last sign of ich.

Warmer water means less oxygen, lowering your water levels and adding a bubbler will do the trick.

what SKB said. Salt and temperature are the best combination when you have a range of fish that might/might-not tolerate medications. Water changes needs to be more frequent following by proper aeration in the tank. The goldies should be ok in high temperature IMO for a while. I wouldn't risk the entire tank for the sake of some goldies, it's mean and unfair, but i lookout for the "general public"

I'm on the right track then, awesome! :)
This morning I changed some water, and I've been slowly adding salt, 9 tablespoons dissolving in clean treated water. I figured since the loaches aren't a fan of the salt I'd add it slowly and let everyone adjust to it. I'm still working on turning the heat up. I also fed everyone (lightly) and everyone is still eating like normal, even baby loach. Took some water out to get more air in there, they're not a big fan of the new water current. Haha
The only reason I plan to treat the goldfish too is because I always clean the big tank first, then use the same gravel vac and stuff for the Goldies, so I'm anticipating it to show up there next! I'm also keeping an extra close eye on the betta and angelfish tanks, and might add a little bit of salt to their tanks and keep watching.
Gotta go pick up more salt this afternoon, just used the last of it this morning.

what SKB said. Salt and temperature are the best combination when you have a range of fish that might/might-not tolerate medications. Water changes needs to be more frequent following by proper aeration in the tank. The goldies should be ok in high temperature IMO for a while. I wouldn't risk the entire tank for the sake of some goldies, it's mean and unfair, but i lookout for the "general public"

You may be right, maybe goldfish can handle the heat and salt method. Just never have had that issue with goldfish so I am unsure about goldfish.

If you do treat the goldfish u can try the heat and salt method, but if u see stress or like they aren't doing well, I would turn down the temp a little until they seem ok. But again, someone more experienced with goldfish may be able to help with that part.

Thanks guys. I will probably give the salt a try on the goldfish too and just keep an extra close eye on them, especially since right now they aren't showing any signs of it. I don't really want to go chucking meds in there without due cause the more I think about it. Haha

Thanks guys. I will probably give the salt a try on the goldfish too and just keep an extra close eye on them, especially since right now they aren't showing any signs of it. I don't really want to go chucking meds in there without due cause the more I think about it. Haha

And keep in mind, salt doesn't evaporate, so when you do water changes, only add the amount of salt u needed for the water u took out. If you do top offs, then don't add any to the top off water

Thanks, I'm just glad that I was headed blindly in the right direction with treating it. Haha this forum in general has given me loads of information on everything, I spend hours on here just reading everyone's posts. I love it, it's like the google of the fish world. Lol

Hello, I have otocinclus and they are "known" to be sensitive to salt...
Since you are worried about your loaches, I just wanted to tell you my good experience with salt treatment... even with otocinclus in my tank.

I slowly dissolved salt in the tank (not directly!!) during 3 days until reaching the proportion of 1 teaspoon per gallon. My otos reacted very well and I had no loss at the end! :)

Good luck!

Thanks! I've been watching them, and they all actually seem to be handling the process pretty well. The extra current at the back of the tank has brought everyone to the front, and they're all staring at me or swimming laps around the tank. there is still a few that are bouncing off the sand and rocks (flashing I think?) but other than that they're acting like a bunch of kids hopped up on sugar. Lol

I've read that I can use regular kosher salt or sea salt instead of aquarium salt. Is this true???

"Unlike some common table salt, kosher salt typically contains no additives such as iodine, although some brands will include anticlumping agents in small amounts."

(source: Kosher salt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Usually, salt additives are not concentrated enough to harm fishes.
I use a kitchen salt that contains some mineral, and I have had no problem so far.

The goldies are in a separate tank, correct? Unless they have symptoms, there is no reason to stress them unduly and treat them for something they do not have. High temps induce thermal stress for a cold water fish. If you do notice ich on them, you can safely and easily treat them simply by increasing the salinity gradually to .3% (or 11.4grams per g) and maintaining the salinity for atleast one week after the last spot is gone (along with wcs). Please ask if you have questions!

The goldies are in a separate tank, correct? Unless they have symptoms, there is no reason to stress them unduly and treat them for something they do not have. High temps induce thermal stress for a cold water fish. If you do notice ich on them, you can safely and easily treat them simply by increasing the salinity gradually to .3% (or 11.4grams per g) and maintaining the salinity for atleast one week after the last spot is gone (along with wcs). Please ask if you have questions!

Yes they're in a separate tank. I've been watching them and they haven't shown any symptoms so I haven't treated them for it.
Sadly though I lost my baby clown loach that had it the worst. I think I'm going to pick up some scaleless meds and do a half dose on the tank because I'm not sure the salt is helping, it's been 3 or 4 days now and it's just gotten worse on my remaining loach (but everyone else is better/not showing any symptoms) and he is looking to be in pretty bad shape, like he might not pull through. :( poor dude is covered in it, it looks like I rolled him through powdered sugar and salt. is that normal though for them to get worse after treatment? I just don't want to lose him too, and I feel like I'm not doing enough, even with the salt and WC's. I feel so helpless. Sigh.

I've been trying for days to get a picture of him, this morning I was finally successful. Kind of. Good news is that he's still pretty active and I've coaxed him out to eat several times. Bad news is his breathing is still labored and the white keeps spreading. I hope he doesn't die too. =(

Attachments

• image-1643887193.jpg
    image-1643887193.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 52
  • image-1419371506.jpg
    image-1419371506.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom