Ich I think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I am treating with the cupramine for the first time, do I treat the water first, or treat it after the fish have been acclimated to the qt?

I would acclimate the fish first and begin treatment. I believe the directions say 2 drops per gallon for 48 hrs and them 2 more drops per gallon there after for a theraputic dose of 4 drops per gallon, or .5 ppm.
I would begin treastment right after you get them in. You do have sea chems multitest kit right? To help control the level of copper when at full strength, dose your change water.

Yes I hve a test kit. Im thinking about a fw dip, what do you think?

Also could I do a fw dip with just chlorine treated water?

And...All I could get was a 20g tank. I'm going to take all 20g out of the main tank, so it is less shock to the fish. For filtration on my main tank I have an emporor 400 and 105pds of live rock. Would it be wise to remove the emporor from the main tank and place it in use on the 20g since all my fish are going there?

Would the lr be enough filtration for the inverts and anemone's that are in the main tank?

Well they are in QT. Should I move the emporor over?

I put some dark blue poster board on the back and side of the tank.

Here is the tank:

20g
5 fish
pvc parts for hiding
air pump
small powerhead moving the water around the top.
small filter that came with my 10g tank
thermomoter
heater

Am I missing anything?
Is this to much water flow? (there is alot of bubbles in the tank.

Thanks! :wink:

Well they need a filter, but so does your main. You didn't get a small filter with the qt tank?
Maybe an advisor can chime in here, but I wouldn't want to use your main filter with any copper. Call me paranoid, but I would run out for a small filter for your qt.
Your fish do need water movement, especially with that bioload.
I just use a small trickle filter and an airstone for extra oxygenation while treating with meds.

Check the previous post again, quarryshark. I edited it. Tell me what you think.

Also what should I do as far a maintenence of the qt, and how regular?

Feed the same?

Actually it looks good to me.
With that many fish you will want to check ammonia and nitrite daily, these are the 2 items that will give you fits. Your levels will dictate the water change regiment. Also feed lightly to keep these levels down.
Lot of work, I know. But its worth it when you put healthy fish back in you main.

Thanks your right. This will all be worth it once it's over. We have marked the calendar to a date 4 weeks from now, when will start thinking about returning them. Probably more like 5 to 6 weeks. It will be alot of work. But I'll do anything for my little buddies. Especially qt for 3 weeks any new addition.

If a level is up when I test, what would you recommend doing? Waterchange, how much?

Thanks!!! :)

Depends how high. Ammonia and nitrite are inevitable during a qt. The goal is to fight them and keep them down.
I have 2 heni butterflys (3") in a 10 gallon qt tank right now. I change 2 gallons every day or every other day (20%) depending on my tests. I am usually battling a .25-.5 level of ammonia. If its higher you would change a little more. Don't know if there is a "rule of thumb", but its kept my fish healthy.
You also want to be careful not to change too much as it can stress them. It's a fine line, you'll figure it out.

My Nitrite in the qt is 0, my ammonia is .5, and nitrate is a bit high. I have got some water ready for a change tomorrow. I'm going to change 5gallons, i think that is about 22% water change. Is this ok?

Thanks for all the help.

I would start at about 3. Don't want to stress them more than they already are. If it doesn't help, then I would increase. Stay light with the feeding. Don't let anything hit the bottom. Thats you biggest problem with qt ammonia, overfeeding.

How much and how often should I use the Cupramine?? The lfs said go half the dosage. What do all of you think?

Follow the diorections for the best results and be sure to monitor the levels with the corresponding test kit. Half dosage will not work.

SeaChem said:
DIRECTIONS: Remove all invertebrates. Turn off UV sterilizer; remove chemical filtration. Use 1 mL (top mark of enclosed dispenser) per 40 L (10.5 gallons*) the first day, wait 48 hours, then repeat for a total dose of 0.5 mg/L (in freshwater, use half dose). Leave at this concentration for 14 days. Do not redose without testing (MultiTest: Copper™). Do not use in conjunction with any other medication. If tank has ever been treated with an ionic copper (e.g. copper chloride, sulfate or citrate), test copper level after initial dosing. Although most fish tolerate Cupramine™ to 0.8 mg/L, it is not advisable to exceed 0.6 mg/L copper. Remove with carbon or CupriSorb™

Cheers
Steve

Yes, I have used this product 3 times and followed the above instructions to the letter. The ourcome is 100%. Awsome product if used correctly.
On my bottle it states 2 drops per gallon for 48 hours, then 2 more drops per gallon for a dose of .5 . In other works 1/2 strength for 2 days and then full strength for 2 weeks.
Maintain by dosing the change water and test the dosage every day.
Steve, you must have your hard drive full of this stuff. :)

Here is my problem. This is the test I got, this is the only one I could find. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...atid=4439&Ne=40000&R=7017&Nao=9&N=2004+113074
The test bottle has two lines, one about 2/3 an inch from the bottom, and one line almost to the top. Which onre do I use?

Next Problem. I did as the lfs said before I got a response back from you guys. Now what should I do?
I have 6 gallons of water to do a water change. Do I treat the water before it goes in? How much since I already put 1/2 dose into the tank?

I'm sorry for this confusing stuff. If you can and will help, Thanks. I now I am a pain in the old rump!! 8O

I am only going to change about 4gallons.

revhtree said:
Here is my problem. This is the test I got, this is the only one I could find. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...atid=4439&Ne=40000&R=7017&Nao=9&N=2004+113074
The test bottle has two lines, one about 2/3 an inch from the bottom, and one line almost to the top. Which onre do I use?
The one at the very top. It should be level with where the neck extends beyond the main body.

Next Problem. I did as the lfs said before I got a response back from you guys. Now what should I do?
Add the remainder of what the original amount should have been based on the actual water volume for the QT and then in 48 hrs add the next dose.

I have 6 gallons of water to do a water change. Do I treat the water before it goes in? How much since I already put 1/2 dose into the tank?
If you need top do the water change, dose the change water as if you where just starting the treatment on the tank. So with 1 ml treating 10.5 gal a little over the ½ mark or as quarryshark indicated, 12 drops. Once you are past the second step of the treatment, use 4 drops/gal for future water changes. You should not need to add any more copper to the tank after the second treatment though but test to be sure. Any treated water for water changes should maintain the levels just fine.

I am only going to change about 4gallons.
Then use only eight drops :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Sorry Steve, I forgot you are on metric. The world would be an easier place if we all were.

Fastest copper kits will read for chelated copper but I am unsure how accurate it will read for Cupramine since it is not a true chelate.

Nice offer quarryshark (y)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom