Ich in new fish within 24 hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarquin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a fully cycled tank with guppies and also those guppies have had babies which are swimming around in my tank. I wanted to start adding more fish so bought some neon tetras - within 24 hours they started to have signs of ich. I removed them into a smaller beta bowl I had lying around and would like some advice on what to do:

1) do I need to treat my main tank. My guppies and guppy babies have no signs of ich

2) should I take the tetras back to the shop?

3) should I just treat the tetras in the smaller tank and then re-introduce them?

I have read all the articles on how to treat - just curious and what method to follow.

Thanks

Treat them all in your main tank (slowly raise your temp up to 87-88... Over the course of the day) With ich... Assume the whole tank's infected... Even if only one shows signs. That's why taking them back to the shop is pointless, chances are the others may also be infected.

It's annoying, but this is we should QT new stock. Had the same issue a few months back ... With ... Yep neons.

I thought so - but thanks for the advice! Do you think the raised temp will hurt the baby guppies? Do you also recommend treating with anything or just the raised temp?

Wouldn't want to do it long term it will shorten their lifespan but to treat the ich the guppy fry will be fine try will grow quicker due to increased metabolism and may require more feedings.

Raise temp slowly to 86 F

Add an airstone to increase oxygenation

Do gravel vacs every 2-3 days to remove ich spore from substrate

Maintain this schedule for minimum of 2 weeks

You can also add aquarium salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, diluted in tank water).

Put the tetras back into the tank with the other fish. Even though they were there only a short time, you must assume that you main tank has ich.

Thanks for all the help guys! Will give this a shot and keep fingers crossed!

what always helped my fish was adding aquarium salt into the water you can get that at lps!

Back
Top Bottom