ICH in the Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceangirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Heat only?
Can you use salt?

I have the following fish:
Cories Panda, Pepper, Bronze
Tetras
Galaxy rasbora or Celestial Pearl Danio
1 Betta
Bunch of Fry Guppy, Endler
Endlers

Plants:
1 Amazon sword
Water Wisteria
Brazillian Penny wort
Lots of Java fern

I also have the following medications:
Aquarium salt
ParaGuard By seachem
General Cure
Methylene blue
Melafix
Pimafix

What to do?

Added 2 fish (Celestial Pearl Danio) after a 2 week Qt and Methylene Blue baths. Added them to the main tank, now 3 days after adding. Showing Ich.
I took the 2 fish that had spots and ReQuarantined. Now I think I should treat my main tank, no one has any spots in my main tank. But What should I do with the main tank? Treat the tank as a precaution? How should I treat the 2 in QT? They are precious to me.

I'd slowly raise the temp up to around 86 or 87, increase aeration and vacuum the gravel regularly. No salt needed. Then, lower the temperature one week after the last ich spot is seen

Well there are no spots in the main tank now because the 2 effected fish are in QT,
so Should I treat for ich just in case in the main tank?
I think in the non planted QT Should I do salt and heat?

Qt tank: 2 fish with the spots heat and soon to be salt, no plants
Main Tank: No fish spots but turned the heat up, has the plants

I found an article
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Has Dr. notation for references.

here are the plans
QT: Salt and heat for a period of 12 days, they seem to like the high heat
Main tank: Heat only at 86-88 degrees for 10 days just to be sure no yucky Ich

do I or should I continue to dose ferts? I mean liquid, Comp and Iron.
I won't dose Excel.

here is the update:

Main tank: Heat slowly creeping up to 86 degrees, I have had to crank the heater.
1 fish started showing signs of body fungus moved to QT. No other signs Ick
Total fish: Everybody else

QT Tank: Treating With Seachem Paraguard, 1 fish with body fungus no more visible fungus, but still ick spots on 2 patients. No salt just paraguard treat for 10 days, and cranking the heat still. Total fish 3 CPDS

I'm sorry I did not reply!

It all sounds good so far, since you see no spots in the main tank, I'd just leave the temp up for 2 weeks minimum. Just in case. I hope you can cure the fish in QT of fungus AND ich. That's rough. You'll get through it :)

I would not dose ferts, I have no scientific reasoning or anything behind it, but it's just what I would do. Lol

The fungus is completely gone, just got to cure that Ich. Just FYI Heater position when raising the temp makes all the difference. I moved it and the temp short up 4 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom