Ich Meds and Tank Moving Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exarkun

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all. This is my first official post here on AA. I've been lurking for a while and decided I needed to show my face.

I have been doing some reading and browsing through post on here. I think I would like to start a small SW tank. I am a newb when it comes to fishes and I know a bigger tank would be the way to go, however I only have enough money to start a small maybe 20 gal tank. My friend has a 20 gal that he doesn't want anymore and free tanks really help my budget :D .

The free tank was used for a FW system. It also has been dosed with Ich medication about 5 months ago. I would like to make the tank a reef tank. Would this Ich medication prevent me from doing so? Is there a way I can ensure no copper will be in the tank when I use it?

Should I even attempt a 20 gal? I am willing to put the time in and I am a fast learner but will I only be setting myself up for failure?

I am probably going to be moving from my apt to a house within a year. Is this yet another reason to wait on a tank? I talked to a guy at a Petco near me and he seemed to think that a move would kill all the fish in tank. However I would think with a 20 gal it would be ok as long as we are not moving across the country.

Please help a newbie out. I really would like to get started with a 20 gal and eventually move up to a bigger (50+ gal) tank. Should I just wait a year until I have the funds and the move out of the way to start a tank. Or should I just keep the fish screen saver on my computer screen and use my imagination.

I would skip the tank especially if there was copper in it . Copper will prevent you from having inverts and corals .... You could set it up for a few days with some water in it and get a copper test kit copper can leach back into the system and should show up on tests .. I would test it with salt water since this is what it will be used for.... if it comes back clear you could use it but I would be leary of doing so... Getting a new 20 should not set you back more than 15 -20 bucks and you have peace of mind that it is new and will not have had copper in it .... You are not setting yourself up for failure if you are willing to learn . I dont think that the move will kill the fish if done right. If you take the time to research and learn the ins and outs you will be fine .... Moving is stressful but can be done with the right set up I will try to hit on that later for you after I go see if the 99 year old lady who just fell down a flight of steps is ok

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Please do not cycle with live animals.

Hmmmm, did he use copper, or some other sort of med for the ich (see if you can find the actual med used)? You could possibly clean out the tank and get a copper test. See what those results are and we can go from there. As for moving, lots of folks have moved established tanks, without any fatalities.

Moving is easy.
Here is how we did it .... this depends on the length of the move from cross town to cross the street ... but none the less pretty much the same ...
You will need:
fresh mixed salt water about 2 times the volume of your tank 20 gallons have 40 ready ...
tote bins ....coolers if you live in a cooler /cold climate
baggies.....
battery operated pumps ....
1-2 extra power heads ...
extra filter ..
Ok
start draining out your water into a bucket once this is done have a power filter ready to keep the water in the bucket moving and to absorb the fish waste... an opaque (sp) bucket helps to keep the stress of the fish down ...
once the water is drained take out the live rock place in a bin and cover with water ... set to the side... next take the next tote bin place all corals in baggies will help you keep them from sting other corals and extra water around the bags will help should the bags leak as well as insulating the corals (temps dont drop as quick with larger ammounts of water .) ....cover with water set off to the side remove fish place into bin with water and filter set off to the side take some news paper wet down and place over the live sand .....
When you are ready to leave place a battery operated pump into the fish bin to keep it airated ... load up and move ...
Once you are at the new place remove your live rock and aquascape take the extra power head with tubing that fits the nozzle (found at most home improvement stores lowes , homedepot ect) pump the water over the live rock this helps prevent a sand storm... now place the corals in and pump more water in ... once you are almost full in the tank with water throw on an extra filter with carbon this will help clear the tank and will also help remove any nitrAtes , nitrItes, ammonias . Next open up the fish empty part of the water out and start to drip acclimate them to the tank again... take the extra water that was mixed and prime that with another power head to get it to the same PH , temp , spg once your water is ready and the reacclimated fish place them into the tank , keep the lights out the rest of the day to help with the stress level.... now place in some fresh mixed saltwater you have done a PWC in the process....Before you move them be sure to bulk them up so they can handle the stress , feed good foods such as mysis soaked in garlic and selcon ....
This is how we did it with no losses . others may have diffrent methods ect ... :D

If there was a way you could find out what was used it would be great. Maybe not any type of copper.

Thanks for the reply guys. The guy I spoke to at Petco had me all freaked out about moving. I think it might be doable if I don't move to another state.

As for the tank he isn't sure what meds he used. Just to be on the safe side im going to buy a new tank. His is set up for freshwater anyway and I wouldn't need most of the equipment it came with. Better to just start from scratch. Thanks for the help!

not to hijack the thread but I am also curious about moving.. if i have to move my tank from southern california to northern california would i just follow the same steps and put it all in the car and go? its about a 7 hour drive..

pspiegel said:
not to hijack the thread but I am also curious about moving.. if i have to move my tank from southern california to northern california would i just follow the same steps and put it all in the car and go? its about a 7 hour drive..
I would say yes, if you can get a heater in there to keep the temp stable, or possibly in coolers with a heat pack. Think of how they do it online, they overnight the critters. I am not too sure how much heat you will lose. I would definitely have some premixed water at your new place.

For the longer moves I would recommend a power inverter for vehicles to allow for pumps and for heaters if needed .... Take along an extra few gallons of salt water that is from the tank in 1 gallon jugs to top off or should you spill .....other than that coolers should maintain their temps if in a temp controlled enrioment such as the cab of the vehicle ...limit the opening and closing of the cooler to 1 or 2 times an hour to prevent heat loss or stress. About half way there I would do a small water change with some primed salt water IE if the cooler holds 10 gallons change out 2-3 cups of water to keep it fresh . As stated have some primed water at your new location at the ready so that after set up you are preped to do a water change... You will use about 2/3rds of your old water and top off with fresh water ... Remember to reacclimate your fish as they will need to get use to any changes that the live rock / live sand may cause .

Back
Top Bottom