Ich Outbreak :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zer0signal

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sadly, I had an outbreak of Ich in my 20 Gallon fish tank. I finished cycling it, and put some Neon Tetras and Cherry barbs into it this past weekend. Yesterday I noticed they had some white spots on all of them.

So I immediately started slowly increasing the temp to 84, and ran out and bought Super Ick from API. It says to increase aeration, and i already have two HOB's on the 20 Gallon, so i just picked up a cheap $0.49 airstone and threw it in there as well...

Now, after reading around more about it, some people recommend doing a 50% change every day, to try and clean up any parasites or eggs that maybe be falling to the gravel. But the dosage says to just add a dose ever 48hrs, and on the 2nd 48hr do a 25% water change.

Would it be smart to deviate from that, and do a 50% wc everyday, and dose the tank each time? or just stick to what the instructions say?

Sorry to hear about your situation. I always felt safer doing a water change every 24 hours then treating. I felt uncomfortable having any sort of chemical build up in my tank. As the saying goes "the solution to pollution is dilution." Also vacuuming the substate is critical when you have an ich outbreak. Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Stacey

What I take from what you said, is to just WC w/ gravel vac every 24hrs and add Meds after each change?

Thanks Stacey

What I take from what you said, is to just WC w/ gravel vac every 24hrs and add Meds after each change?

Yep! Also I have treated up to 3-5 days after the last sign of ich is seen. Then after the 3-5 day period I have slowly reduced the temp. in the tank each day.

Ok, another question... I guess I should assume that I have now lost all my BB, since I medicated this tank. So with that, I will have to re-cycle all over again?

You can't really assume that you have lost all your BB. Just keep a close eye on your levels with a liquid test kit. It may take a little while for your tank to recover. You would be amazed sometimes how resilient bacteria can be depending on how established your tank was to begin with.

I have medicated, increased the temp, and the O2 levels via air stone/ bubble wand at the same time. Also turned the lights off except to feed and check the condition of the fish. This is the only thing that has worked for me. A coworker I know has been an aquarist for 20 years and has a "fish tank room" gave me that advice and it worked like a charm. I even had a dojo loach at the time and had to to 1/2 doses of meds.

Michelle the instructions say to increase to 82, I put it at 84.

The reason I did that is because of the amount of filtration I already have on this 20 Gallon tank. 2 HOB's that turn my tank over 15 times an hour, plus a massive air stone. It looks like a witches brew pot with how much this surface is agitated. So I think there should be plenty of Oxygen.

I also have learned my lesson from this, I am actually buying a 10 gallon quarantine tank right now for all future fish that come into my house, and future sick fish.

I am thankful its just limited to this 20 Gallon tank and not my 60 gallon w/ a lot of very expensive fish. This does not mean, I am not upset about my 20 gallon fish, I love them all equal.

Oddly enough I woke up to ich in my 75 gallon today ?. I'm treating with kordon ich attach but can't raise temp because of a goby that I have who is heat intolerant. Caught it early but I'm still a nervous wreck...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oddly enough I woke up to ich in my 75 gallon today ?. I'm treating with kordon ich attach but can't raise temp because of a goby that I have who is heat intolerant. Caught it early but I'm still a nervous wreck...

Ugh, it really does suck... I guess all you can do, is give whats needed and hope for the best.

That info is crap. get API aquarium salt and add 1- 1 1/2 tsp per gallon and have them stay there until the ich is gone. Keep the temp at 82 stable. This method worked with my neons, it will work with yours.

That info is crap. get API aquarium salt and add 1- 1 1/2 tsp per gallon and have them stay there until the ich is gone. Keep the temp at 82 stable. This method worked with my neons, it will work with yours.

Every case of ich is different. I've tried the way you have mentioned and it didn't work. End result dead fish. You don't have to be so harsh.

Does not look good, I have lost 70% of my stock. :(

I have also dedicated this tank as a quarantine and hospital, I bought a new 36 Gallon Bow Front to replace the 20Gallon.

Sorry to hear about your loss:( Fish keeping can sometimes be frustrating but very rewarding at the same time.

I've lost 1 threadfin rainbow so far...

I've increased temp to 82, used 1/2 dose of salt and 1/2 dose of kordon ick attack...

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'll keep mine crossed too. Hate to change the subject. Just found out you're from Akron, Ohio from your profile. I'm Reynoldsburg, Ohio. Loving the weather aren't you? Guess it's better than Boston.

Yeah, I am down to 2 Neon Tetras, 1 Cherry Barb, and 1 Dwarf Gourami. The Dwarf seems to be doing pretty good, I don't see any white on him. The others have being dying one after the other.

Good luck Michelle, I hope to never get into this situation again, it really sucks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom