Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Rexx

Aquarium Advice Activist
First of all I have no idea how Ich got into my tank. I don't know if I am doing something wrong, doing too much or too little. I have a 36 gallon aquarium and I change 10%-15% of the water once a week. All of my readings are fine except for today the KH is at 180 instead of 80. Anywhoo I noticed a case of Ich started in my fish tank on one of my neons about a week and a half ago. So as soon as I could I went and bought some Ich treatment: Mardel coppersafe for ick velvet and other external parasites. Raised the temp slowly to 81/82degrees so the cycle of the parasite will speed up and it would die quicker. Put 1/2 dose (except for the other day I put in full doseage) in because I hear it can kill scaless fish like neons if you put too much in. I've been doing frequent water changes since the Ich began, and it seems with everything I am doing the ich is here to stay. The fish look good, the ich falls off and I hope the medication kills them before it gets back on the fish, then BAM they are COVERED in it again! Am I doing something wrong? Please help. ): :confused:

First of all I have no idea how Ich got into my tank. I don't know if I am doing something wrong, doing too much or too little. I have a 36 gallon aquarium and I change 10%-15% of the water once a week. All of my readings are fine except for today the KH is at 180 instead of 80. Anywhoo I noticed a case of Ich started in my fish tank on one of my neons about a week and a half ago. So as soon as I could I went and bought some Ich treatment: Mardel coppersafe for ick velvet and other external parasites. Raised the temp slowly to 81/82degrees so the cycle of the parasite will speed up and it would die quicker. Put 1/2 dose (except for the other day I put in full doseage) in because I hear it can kill scaless fish like neons if you put too much in. I've been doing frequent water changes since the Ich began, and it seems with everything I am doing the ich is here to stay. The fish look good, the ich falls off and I hope the medication kills them before it gets back on the fish, then BAM they are COVERED in it again! Am I doing something wrong? Please help. ): :confused:

I don't know anything about CS, but here's a site on it that seems to have some info to help you out.

Are you stopping treatment right after the spots drop off? I prefer Quick Cure and many will say heat/salt to cure ick. From my experience with QC, I do 10 days straight of meds with daily/every other day of PWC and the ick has never returned.

As for your KH, that's a huge change and I'm wondering if your supplier (EBMUD?) didn't make some kind of change in the water. You might want to go to their website and look for alerts. I'd also recommend PWC of 25-50% rather than 10-15% unless your tank is very lightly stocked.

Good luck!

Also, I believe the recommended temperature for treatment is 86/87...at least that's what I've been told

I don't know anything about CS, but here's a site on it that seems to have some info to help you out.

Are you stopping treatment right after the spots drop off? I prefer Quick Cure and many will say heat/salt to cure ick. From my experience with QC, I do 10 days straight of meds with daily/every other day of PWC and the ick has never returned.

As for your KH, that's a huge change and I'm wondering if your supplier (EBMUD?) didn't make some kind of change in the water. You might want to go to their website and look for alerts. I'd also recommend PWC of 25-50% rather than 10-15% unless your tank is very lightly stocked.

Good luck!

Hello! Thanks for responding! ^_^ I haven't stopped the treatment since I've started it. Since it began there has been at least 1 fish (mainly the Neons) who have consistantly had a spot or two. I figured once there are no more spots I'll go an extra couple days just in case, but I haven't gotten to that point yet! /: The Ich is attacking the neons bad. ): I feel so bad for them. Poor things. I think I will go and try Quick Cure. I just ran out of my bottle of Maradel last night. Is it bad to mix medicines? Do you think I should do a 25-50% weekly? or just during treatment? From what I can find out our water comes from the City of Antioch Works Department? But I looked where that was from and I found the Contra Costa Water District? I really don't know how to find out for sure though.:facepalm: lol!

I believe it is a tablespoon per ten gallons...if you have a planted tank talk to mfdrookie516! He has planted tanks and refuses to use meds, so he cut the salt equation in half and everything was just fine :)

Hello! Thanks for responding! ^_^ I haven't stopped the treatment since I've started it. Since it began there has been at least 1 fish (mainly the Neons) who have consistantly had a spot or two. I figured once there are no more spots I'll go an extra couple days just in case, but I haven't gotten to that point yet! /: The Ich is attacking the neons bad. ): I feel so bad for them. Poor things. I think I will go and try Quick Cure. I just ran out of my bottle of Maradel last night. Is it bad to mix medicines? Do you think I should do a 25-50% weekly? or just during treatment? From what I can find out our water comes from the City of Antioch Works Department? But I looked where that was from and I found the Contra Costa Water District? I really don't know how to find out for sure though.:facepalm: lol!

I figured my post on QC would jump start your thread lol. Some how the link to CS didn't post, here it is again.

The Mardel CopperSafe Instructions | eHow.com

I don't recommend mixing any treatments, so if you're going to switch to QC or salt/heat, do a couple 3 back to back 50% PWC over 24hrs before switching would be my best suggestion. Be careful of raising the temp too fast, it's hard on fish and about 1 degree every 12hrs is my recommendation.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom