ICH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerky

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just got me German Blue Ram almost a week ago, everything has been good so far. Was practically white when I got him, and his colors back come back very nicely.

But just now I just noticed some VERY white little spec spots on him, I am trying to get a picture but he is so active right now its hard.

I have 4 Harlequin Rasboras and the GBR

I am going to bump the temp up to 82 which is documented fine for the GBR but the rasboras only say 77. Having it at 82 for 4-5 days is fine, correct?

I have aquarium salt but I am not sure if I should add at this point.

Any other suggestions?

Actually I read that I need to be at like 86-87 degrees. Is that okay with my 2 fish?

It looks like there are only 3 definite white specs on him. The other 4 fish don't show anything yet. I will still keep the heat treatment going.

Maybe I got lucky and caught it super early.

Thoughts?

Ok got the tank at a steady 86 degrees, I added 3 tablespoons of aquarium salt to my 20g (2 plants in tank) hopefully it does not affect the plants too badly.

How frequently should I do water changes?

Gravel vacs and pwc's will remove ich from the water as well as freshen water to help prevent secondary infection so really as often as you like.

I only went to twice a week at most as your water change mustn't reduce the tank temp below 86F. Heat by itself will do the job most times.

I found this ich treatment online... Trying to gather some opinions on it:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429841013.324698.jpg

salt content makes my nervous but then so does the idea of losing all my fish!!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The majority opinion seems to be just heat. Do you agree or use the salt as well?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Some salt says specifically not to use with live plants. Hope they do alright. Depending on the plant some can't take hardly any salt at all, others can survive all the way into brackish water.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Well what I had read is that just use less then directed. People have said they use aquarium salt no problem. I only have an Anubias Nana and a Java fern.

I will update tonight when I get home. This morning after doing the salt yesterday afternoon seems to be fine so far.

I just wanted to do a little salt just to help lower the fish stress. Especially because they are new fish I got. Now that I look back, I think I had the tank a little too cool for them and probably caused additional stress. I believe I had it at 74 prior to doing to heat treatment.

Well I do think salt helps but can't really comment with your plants. I have tried tasting a teaspoon of salt in 5 gallons and pretty much couldn't taste it. That level seems to be ok for plants from threads where low level salt dosing is always done as part of a pwc.

I would dare to say those plants are fine. Hardiest plants you can get.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yeah they have been growing really well too. My java fern is just starting to propagate and my anubias have like 3-4 new leaves since i got it about a month ago.

Update. The German blue ram only has one white dot now. Hopefully it comes off tomorrow. Lost a rasbora. I believe it is unrelated. Its body had some damage when I purchased it. Didn't realize till I got home. Ohh well. Down to 3 rasboras now. As soon as the ich is gone I will get some more.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ugh a second small white dot developed on the fin overnight. Water temp is at 88. Not sure why it happened. Both white spots now are on fins. They are a dull white, not a bright white that I had before. I did a water change last night before I went to sleep. Not sure if that did anything.

Water changes are very good at helping remove any free floating Ich in the water.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom