*Ick? Is A UV Sterilizer just as good as Quarantine?*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a question. I have a 55 Gal. Wet/Dry filter, RedSea Protein Skimmer that is always crystal clean 260watt Compact Lighting, 50lbs. live rock, 4in deep sand bed live sand with crushed coral and fine live sand. I have feather duster, bubble anemone, frog toadstool anemone, sun polyps, few other types of polyps along with 2 clownfish, 2 firefish, and 1 bullet goby. The clownfish have been in the tank for 2 months along with the Firefish. I added the Bullet Goby and anemones, coral 1 month ago. I noticed 2 days ago a few white dots on the clownfish and who passed away today. I don't have a nother tank to quarantine the rest. The water levels are pristine. I heard about UV Sterilizers I was wondering what peoples take are on it. Maybe it will be benficial to me to kill the parasites in the water if they're any? Any help greatly appreciated. Also for a quarantine tank it must have same setup as display tank?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86208900@N00/[/img]

I believe a UV is benefical to your tank as a preventitive measure to parasites and algea spores but it could not take the place of a QT. Both are important and serve different purposes. God Bless

The uv will only kill what's floating in the water column. The ich that is on the fish and in the gravel will not be killed by uv. It has to actually flow throught the uv for it to work. The ich can kill your fish before it ever hatches into the water column. Uv is great as a general rule but you are going to have to qt the sick fish to get rid of the ich before it can kill them.

Back
Top Bottom