Ick or something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spartin718

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recently cycled a fluval spec 16 gallon at 3ppm. I was told that since I dosed at 3ppm I could add all 7 1/2 inch silvertip tetras all at one time. The water is fantastic as far as the API master kit and a GH and KH kit are concerned. Some of the terras are shimmering in one place and one other one keeps bumping up against the wall. Not flashing. My local LFS said it is probably a parasite and I went home with a bottle of Prazilpro. I dosed that 2 days ago and you have to wait three days to dose again. They don't seem to be doing any better so I took a bag of charcoal and put it in the filter to get the prazilpro out and I was thinking about adding Cupramine. I have heard that this can be pretty harsh on fish and to only use a half dose. I just feel like I am going to lose them if I do nothing. Thanks always for listening:dance:

I just recently cycled a fluval spec 16 gallon at 3ppm. I was told that since I dosed at 3ppm I could add all 7 1/2 inch silvertip tetras all at one time. The water is fantastic as far as the API master kit and a GH and KH kit are concerned. Some of the terras are shimmering in one place and one other one keeps bumping up against the wall. Not flashing. My local LFS said it is probably a parasite and I went home with a bottle of Prazilpro. I dosed that 2 days ago and you have to wait three days to dose again. They don't seem to be doing any better so I took a bag of charcoal and put it in the filter to get the prazilpro out and I was thinking about adding Cupramine. I have heard that this can be pretty harsh on fish and to only use a half dose. I just feel like I am going to lose them if I do nothing. Thanks always for listening:dance:

Wow thanks for all of the help!

Hi, Best to finish each set of meds as directed on bottle ime.

The shimmering could be parasites or could be water chemistry / some poison. It sounds like water chemistry was ok and similar to what they would be used to?

Poison can be anything - cleaning chemicals, sprays near tank, bad driftwood / ornaments / gravel - just checking nothing could be possible there? Did they acclimate ok?

Could try a water change (temp matched and gradual) - see if any improvement. I’m assuming your water conditioner is a good one? Seems like you are aware of all that since you have cycled the tank but just in case.

After that parasites sounds possible.

The shimmering could be parasites or could be water chemistry / some poison. It sounds like water chemistry was ok and similar to what they would be used to?

Poison can be anything - cleaning chemicals, sprays near tank, bad driftwood / ornaments / gravel - just checking nothing could be possible there? Did they acclimate ok?

Could try a water change (temp matched and gradual) - see if any improvement. I’m assuming your water conditioner is a good one? Seems like you are aware of all that since you have cycled the tank but just in case.

I went to the fish store and went straight home with no light getting into the bag. I floated the bag for 15 minutes, cut a hole and filled 1/2 cup of water every 5 minutes until the bag is full. I dumped half the water and started the process again. I then let them into my aquarium with a net. They were sick when I bought them. I didn't realize it until I got home because of covid I was not allowed i n the store to pick them myself. I am calling them today and telling them I want to exchange my fish. I shouldn't have to go through weeks or even a month to get the ich out of my tank. So I plan to return these and wait until my tank is free of disease and then choose my own fish.

I went to the fish store and went straight home with no light getting into the bag. I floated the bag for 15 minutes, cut a hole and filled 1/2 cup of water every 5 minutes until the bag is full. I dumped half the water and started the process again. I then let them into my aquarium with a net. They were sick when I bought them. I didn't realize it until I got home because of covid I was not allowed in the store to pick them myself. I am calling them today and telling them I want to exchange my fish. I shouldn't have to go through weeks or even a month to get the ich out of my tank. So I plan to return these and wait until my tank is free of disease and then choose my own fish. I also had my water tested at a reputable LFS. All of my parameters were great! I have done a couple of water changes and the fish are not getting any better.

Back
Top Bottom