Ick parasites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJudd

Aquarium Advice Addict
A general question about the Ick parasite. At 78f, a fairly typical temp, how long can an Ick parasite live without finding a host. If a tank has been Ick free (no white spots on fish) for about 2 weeks can I be confident that the tank has become Ick free?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A general question about the Ick parasite. At 78f, a fairly typical temp, how long can an Ick parasite live without finding a host. If a tank has been Ick free (no white spots on fish) for about 2 weeks can I be confident that the tank has become Ick free?

This post may help you better understand this parasite. Using Heat to Treat Ich in Freshwater Tropical Fish - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

Hope this helps. (y)

Hi ScotJudd:

I think the lifecycle of the organism runs about 7 to 10 days, so 2 weeks would probably be enough time to have a fairly high level of confidence. The problem is that an infection may not be obvious right away (for example, if just the gills were infected you might not know unless you took the fish out and examined it closely, or if it was visibly sick).

Did you use only the heat method, or did you use another treatment for the outbreak?

-Yorg

When I had an outbreak a year ago I used just heat and it was effective. My main tank is clear.
I was really trying to check that if fish are quarantined for more than two weeks without symptoms then are they considered safe to transfer to the main tank. I tend to wait 4 weeks but occasionally a small shoal of fish need releasing sooner because they can bicker in a small QT.

Back
Top Bottom