ICK wont leave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daneek155

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so i have a 55g tank and i noticed one of my rams and cardinal tetras started having ich. so i raised to temp to like 82. i put melaflex in for about 3 days than i ran out of medicine than added salt. i also bought one bottle of marcel maricide at petsmart and out it in but i only hade enough for day one becasue i went back to petsmart and they were sold out of it. i did a water change and started adding ich attack. just as i started to add ich attack i noticed it have left my ram and my tetra no more ick. 3 days later my cardinal is getting it and the same rm is starting to get it as well?????need some help on what to do here thanks

Did you stop treating when you noticed the fish didn't show signs anymore?

I stopped water changes and continued to add o'clock attack. I have only 1 200wapostolic heater in my 55ggarage and its set on maximum and gets the tank to 82

I don't believe Melafix is meant to treat Ich...which could be the cause of your ongoing battle. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong. I would bump up the heat to 86-88 and see if that helps. If your heater doesn't reach that temp them you might want to invest in a different or secondary heater.

As far as meds are concerned i have had good luck with "Quick Cure" (half dose for tetras as they are sensitive to it).

Yeah, melafix won't do anything for ick, it's meant for bacterial infections

I have had excellent luck with quick cure also, but you can just as easily treat ick with heat, and or heat and salt. Continue to add salt and crank up the heater a little bit. The ick is not gone completely when fish sop showing signs, it can be in the substrate and decorations sometimes too.

i thought melafelex helps for everything... would these fish be ok with the temp at 86
2 angels
2 GBR
2 Bolivian rams
2 blue rams
3 cardinal tetras
1 pleco
2 ottos
1 dwarf guarami

Yeah, melafix won't do anything for ick, it's meant for bacterial infections

I have had excellent luck with quick cure also, but you can just as easily treat ick with heat, and or heat and salt. Continue to add salt and crank up the heater a little bit. The ick is not gone completely when fish sop showing signs, it can be in the substrate and decorations sometimes too.

be very careful with the salt. It looks like some of your stock will be sensitive to it.

i thought melafelex helps for everything... would these fish be ok with the temp at 86
2 angels
2 GBR
2 Bolivian rams
2 blue rams
3 cardinal tetras
1 pleco
2 ottos
1 dwarf guarami

I don't have any experience with the rams or GBR but the others should be ok with it. Just make sure you raise the temp really slowly that way you won't stress out the fish and make them easier targets for the Ich. I usually do 1 degree every two hours, but i've heard up to 2 degrees/hour, just watch them to make sure they aren't showing signs of stress.

Since rams like the low eighties, they'll be fine. Agreed--heat by itself should take care of it if you get it to 86-88 and leave it there for at least a week after the spots disappear. That gives them time to slough off the fish and die off without reproducing (due to the high heat). If you want to lean towards cautious, leave the heat high for two weeks.

I agree keep the temp a 86 for two weeks after the ich disapears I have had the greatest luck with API Super Ich Cure (the powder one works better than the liquid one)

ok thanks alot guys i will crank up my heat tonight slowly i hope my rams and angels will be fine....... also its a med to heavy planted tank with the temp at 86 for like 2 weeks that shouldnt affect my plants to much right?

Sorry don't have much experience with plants one week should suffice though If you keep your water very clean you should be ok. I just say two weeks robe extra sure. The fish will be fine as long as you raise the temp one degree every half hour. Remember they you must also decrease the temp slowly though so the fish don't get stressed. Let us know how it turns out.

daneek155 said:
ok thanks alot guys i will crank up my heat tonight slowly i hope my rams and angels will be fine....... also its a med to heavy planted tank with the temp at 86 for like 2 weeks that shouldnt affect my plants to much right?

Good luck :)

calfishguy said:
Sorry don't have much experience with plants one week should suffice though If you keep your water very clean you should be ok. I just say two weeks robe extra sure. The fish will be fine as long as you raise the temp one degree every half hour. Remember they you must also decrease the temp slowly though so the fish don't get stressed. Let us know how it turns out.

Your plants should be fine. You might see some melting but it will probably be minimal and they'll grow back :) good luck and keep us updated!

got a another 200w heater and the maximum it can get the tank is to 84.5 fish seem to be fine. its a pressurised co2 system in the tank. i did not turn the co2 off i just turned my powerhead on and connected the air hose so it lets alot of bubles in the tank... should i turn my co2 off???is my ph going to change massivly due to all the air im adding in the tank??should i do another water change today?? last one i did was sat i think... i just dont want to change the ph that much because german blue rams die really easy

I don't think you need to worry about turning off co2 as long as your adding extra oxygen. Also be aware some plants don't do so well with salt so I'd stick to heat. If two heaters don't get the heat up then turn the heat up in the room it's in, I believe so said its a garage. Another good idea is to aim your power head at your heaters to help circulate the warm water around, if they are in a dead spot then they won't heat the water efficiently and evenly. With two 200w heaters your tank should be plenty hot, one 250w keeps my 55 at 82 and it's not cranked up.

the tank is in my living room where its set at 72 in the house. i will position my power head over the heater thanks

Back
Top Bottom