Ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rosinx

Aquarium Advice Regular
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong
with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Sunset platy...two white spots, clamped fins, sickly looking...

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Zero ammonia, nitrites, 10 nitrates, temp 77-78, 7.2 pH

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

20 gallon, couple months fishless cycled.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Topfin power 20 and Aqueon whisper 20, all in all around 50 gallon of filtration

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

two sunset platies (1 sick) 2 mollies, 8 neon tetras, 6 white cloud minnows, 3 corydoras (1 speckled, 1 albino, 1 panda)

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

Once a week, 25%. Vacuum 1/3 gravel (to save BB)

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

First fish in my tank, couple months.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Added new seachem flourite, I think I have been stressing my fish out quite a bit lately. Lot's of tank changing recently.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Wardley tropical fish flakes... ever since..

So if this ick, which I'm leaning towards, can I just slowly raise the temp. to 86 and then do water changes daily for 10 days? I don't want to add any salt bc of my catfish and plants.

Thanks

If it is Ich than raising the temp to 86+ should remove the Ich for most strains. Extra water changes should not be needed.

A few things:
- Make sure it really is Ich. It looks like little grains of salt sitting on the surface of the fish.
- Be sure to raise the temperature slowly.
- High temperatures result in lower oxygen levels so ensure that there is plenty of surface agitation.

If it's ich...

And as above raise the temperature continuously and thoroughly (be sure it's hot enough the whole tank is OVER 86) for two full weeks.

Like a too short course of antibiotics, doing it too briefly or incompletely can be worse than doing nothing.

Clamped fins are not necessarily a sign of ich. White spots that come and go (and likely get worse), flashing (rubbing against rocks, etc.) are better indications. Be sure what you have are not old scars or something else, as the treatment for ich might make other issues worse. Just two white spots may be a premature diagnosis of ich.

hi guys, thanks for responding. after much inspection it had two fuzzy looking white patches near its fins on the top. These fins also have some white "stuff" on them. Often, the platy has a trail of feces hanging, and the fins between its anal fin are clamped and yellowish. the "top" fin is ragged looking. he's eating fine, and seems to be swimming fine. I think this is not ick, but can't diagnose what it is.

Would be much easier for people to help you if they had some puctures to illustrate what your talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Either way, they will probably die if you dont turn the temp up (slowly) to at least 86. That temp seems to treat a lot of issues, especially with the livebearers. You have nothing to lose, and they will die if you dont since you are unable to post pics and get a 100% diagnosis. Fish disease sucks and usually ends in a few dead fish, but it doesnt have to wipe out your tank if you act fast and get that temp up.

here are some pictures from before. the white seems to be slowly reducing, and the fins are much better looking now though.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416179585397.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416179585397.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 56
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416179615361.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416179615361.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 62
Pretty tank. It doesn't appear to be ich. Ich looks like salt has been sprinkled on the fish. That looks like a fungus.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

thanks for that, the white seems to be disappearing now. does this mean the fish is losing the fungus, or so measures still need to be taken?

btw, what do you guys think about the aquascaping. nothing fancy, just a few beginner plants. I'm planning on getting a lot more black sand.. Really like that look :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416186087562.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416186087562.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 63
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416186115097.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416186115097.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 54
Okay so the white patches are pretty much invisible now. At some certain angles, a tiny but of white can be seen on the fin, however the fins are not clamped anymore. She looks healthy. Would I still need to treat for the fungal disease, assuming that its Saprolegnia? If so, would increasing the temperature of the tank to 86 F for two weeks suffice? Also, two of my neon tetras are hiding in one corner of the tank. And my mollies have been pretty aggressive to my platies recently (nipping). They were always pretty aggressive soon after one of my female platies died, however I noticed that the agression towards the platies increased throughout the past week. Any suggestions.. On my fish and the aquascape :)

:thanks:

You might try posting a new thread with a more appropriate title. The people with the answer to your question may not be reading this one.

Back
Top Bottom