ID a snail please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got some live plants for my FW tank, and I noticed a snail hitchhiker. Since I dont have a camera, I cant take pics, but I'll describe it best I can.

its about the size of a pea, the shell is yellow/golden-clear and it looks like its been tube rolled, even on both sides.

I hope that helps.. I want to make sure its a safe snail or not for a 5 gal.

It's probably either a common pond snail or MTS. I would get as many out of your tank as possible. They reproduce like crazy. It may seem like you just have one right now, but it will turn into dozens in no time.

If it is a flat spiral, it sounds like a ramshorn snail. They don't get nearly as big as a mystery snail. I think it would be ok to leave it and watch it grow.

thanks, I looked over that page, and I dont think its a Ramshorn.. its not a 'trumpet' snail, its flat on both sides and it looks like the shell's been rolled like a toothpaste tube in a way. the shell sits right on top, not to the side like most snails. I searched among the plants and Im not seeing any others

I say scoop the guy out, or get some loaches or female betta to eat them. After scooping as many out as you can find, put a few copper pennies in your filter.

The last snail I had that fit that description (no idea where it came from, must have been dormant in the gravel from the old 20Gal that had an infestation).. there was only 1 and it survived for 11 months with 5 Clown loaches and 3 Black Kuhli's.. found it a couple weeks ago, the side of it's shell broken open (guess it finally upset one of the loaches)..

It was the only one for 11 months, so I doubt it breeds on it's own.. the smaller ones the clowns pecked off in no time, they left 1 alive as if to send a message to the other snails that may come in. (out of the 50 or so that hatched out of the old plant, they ate all but this one and I never had a "fresh batch"..)

since this one looked too big for any of the fish to eat, I removed it. the tiny ones I plucked out whatever I could find and hope the fish would eat the rest.

thanks for the advice all

Back
Top Bottom