ID this fish for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshObsessed

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, kind of at a loss. I googled "Albino Livebearer" and haven't came up with anything. If you know the specific name of this, what seems to be, live bearer that would be great. Just curious. She is the new addition.

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

I feel like it has characteristics of Platies and Mollies. Is it possible for them to interbreed?

FreshObsessed said:
I feel like it has characteristics of Platies and Mollies. Is it possible for them to interbreed?

Beautiful fish!

Yes, according to my research. Guppies can interbreed with them too. I have never experienced that though.

Creamsicle molly - think that's what they call that color

Sorry guys, didn't see all these posts. Will look into these fish, she is really a pretty fish. Thanks for all the replies. :thanks:

guppies can breed with mollies,and swordtails can breed with platies. they are in the same families. and i agree,kinda looks like a creamsicle molly

Mollies, guppies, endlers, swordtails and platties can all interbreed with each other, the chances of it happening in a home aquarium however is slim.

To answer the OP that looks like a young Albino Molly to me.

I have a creamie and he's very gold not that red
I'm guessing albino red platy or albino red Molly

I've never seen any evidence/data of a poecilia x xiph. cross, even in a lab setting. Some people have talked about it, but I don't think it happens. I think most often that its a case of mistaken identity since livebearers store sperm. I do know that in the few molly x guppy crosses I've read about, it seemed like the offspring had a high mortality rate and were for the sterile for the most part.

jetajockey said:
I've never seen any evidence/data of a poecilia x xiph. cross, even in a lab setting. Some people have talked about it, but I don't think it happens. I think most often that its a case of mistaken identity since livebearers store sperm. I do know that in the few molly x guppy crosses I've read about, it seemed like the offspring had a high mortality rate and were for the sterile for the most part.

Ah I see, I was under the impression that it was possible but only in a lab setting and even then it's rare.

Back
Top Bottom