ID this Golden Nugget plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FF, click on the images to make them larger.

That doesn't look like a gold nugget to me, in the first pic at least: it looks more like a hillstream loach.
In the second pic it does look more plec like than hillstream loach. Very confusing...

Wait, on a second glance I think your fish is indeed a hillstream loach:
Gastromyzon punctulatus (Spotted Hillstream Loach)

Ideally these fish need fast flowing cool water conditions, in a river conditions tank setup. Provide them with some rocks to cling on to as well if possible.

I did click on the image coldmachine. It says that Hotlinking is disabled and doesn't show a bigger pic.

Yes, that's one of the two things that confuse me: the eyes are more plec-like than hillstream loach-like, and the pectoral fins are not as rounded as you'd see on a hillstream. But, the flattened body is more hillstream like than plec like...

L018 is the 'true' gold nugget plec: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=153

I took a look at those pictures, and the main discerning features are the yellow streak on the dorsal and caudal fins.
Kaz, does your fish have this colouration?

That is not a hillstream, it is a gold nugget, but the photo sucks. Sorry Kaz, but it does. Can you get a better photo of the whole body. You need you see the dorsal and tail to make a good idenification on a pleco.

Yes, on that 3rd picture you can see the shock of yellow on the dorsal fin: definately a GN plec after all! :)

the question is which GN is it, L018 L177 or the other one i dont remember.

Back
Top Bottom